Chapter 36 - One-hit KO

Neuvillette's POV

 What a weirdly spontaneous decision I've made today.

 I didn't even ask Freminet first before inviting someone to our outing.

 Never mind that, just inviting someone on its own isn't something I normally do. At most, the twist would tag along from time to time but that would be it for company.

 "Something worrying you?" Wriothesley asked suddenly.

 "No, nothing of the sort."

 To think he would notice even while driving.

 Since when do I show that much?

 Just as suddenly as Wriothesley had spoken up, Sigewinne stuck her tablet forward from the back seat.

 "Mister, look! Isn't he cute?" She asked excitedly.

 I took the device to look at the source of her excitement.

 And-

 Pfft!

 It was a drawing of a cartoonish tired-looking wolf surrounded by piles of paperwork with next to it a long stretched-out 'sigh' SFX.

 What made it incredibly amusing was the fact that the wolf's fur looked suspiciously similar to Wriothesley's hair.

 "Sigewinne, I'm not sure if I'm just making assumptions but-

 "You're not. He's who you think he is."

 Oh dear...

 Wriothesley must have his hands full with his daughter.

 But...

 "May I draw something as well?" I asked.

 "Sure!"

 She handed me her pen and under her excited gaze, I made a copy of her drawing in another file.

 Her drawing was followed up by three more little wolves drawn in the same style set up like comic book frames.

 The first one had the tired wolf's ears perking up with interest as a cup of tea was pushed in front of him.

 In the next one, his tail started wagging with excitement.

 And in the fourth came the disaster caused by the wagging tail: papers thrown all over the place with the little wolf just innocently sipping his tea as if he hadn't caused it, totally ignoring the mess.

 As soon as I finished the last drawing Sigewinne burst out laughing.

 "Hahahahaha! Mister, you are too much! this is too accurate!"

 I couldn't help but give Wriothesley a subtle glance as I handed the tablet back to Sigewinne. Obviously, I had not been subtle enough.

 "Are you two having fun at my expense?" He asked pointedly.

 "Dad, I drew you! Want to see?" Sigewinne giggled.

 In response, Wriothesley made a face.

 "It isn't another one of those stupid wolf drawings is it?"

 "They! Are! Not! Stupid! Even mister doesn't think so! He drew some too!" Sigewinne protested.

 And oh, when she put it like that, the whole affair became incredibly embarrassing.

 For the little time he dared to glance away from the road, Wriothesley threw me a look that seemed to say: you can't be serious.

 I've gotten far too used to playing with the children. I don't even think of the consequences anymore.