Chapter 52 - Small note on a pot

Neuvillette's POV

 It was around 7:45 pm when I said goodnight to Sigewinne and Wriothesley.

 That gave me just about enough time to put everything that shouldn't be seen by unrelated people away before-

 Knock. Knock. Knock.

 Ah, there they are.

 "Come in." I called out.

 First to come through the door was Pierro as always. Even after all these years he still acted as if I would hide a group of assassins in my office.

 Even if I did, the woman who stepped in behind him was in no way helpless.

 "Apologies for planning this meeting so late, Neuvillette." She started.

 "You say that, and yet every one of our meetings is at such times."

 "Do you want to come by my office at an earlier time then?"

 "No, thank you."

 I would rather stay late than risk running into some less-than-sane people I would prefer to see as little as possible.

 On that note.

 "Next time you send something to my office, it would be best if it wasn't Dottore delivering them." I commented.

 "Any preferred harbingers then? You can't possibly want me to send classified information like that with anyone of lower rank."

 As she spoke she sat down while Pierro stood dutifully by the door as always, not having said a word since entering my office.

 "Pantalone." I spat out.

 "Oh? I thought it would be Tartaglia."

 "Snow, my problem with Dottore is that he always manages to end up in a troublesome situation. With all due respect, do you think Childe of all people could do better in that regard?"

 Especially with Xiao.

 Oh dear god, I don't want those two anywhere near each other in my or my subordinates' proximity.

 I would rather deal with the scheming banker than most of the other harbingers.

 Well, there is still the exception of Arlecchino, but that is a conversation for another day.

 "I will try to have Pantalone deliver such documents to your office in the future then."

 "Thank you."

 Silence fell in the office and neither of us seemed too keen on breaking it.

 It was late and we were both probably a bit too tired to go directly into complicated matters.

 "Pierro." She eventually called out.

 "Yes, my lady?"

 "Some tea would be lovely."

 "I'll prepare some right away."

 He gave me a curious look before he entered the small kitchen to the side.

 "I will be alright with just some water, thank you."

 As soon as Pierro disappeared into the kitchen, I was met with an amused gaze.

 "Anything to share, Snow?"

 "Water, really?" She chuckled.

 "I thought you would have gotten used to my preferences over the years."