Chapter 24 - Shopping gone right?

Wriothesley's POV

 "Ms. Chiori-"

 "Chiori is fine." She cut me off.

 "Chiori, there is really no need for this."

 When she turned around to look at me with eyes full of confusion, I pointed to the ever-growing pile of clothes on the side.

 That is worth at least a year's worth of my salary!

 It would be one thing if they were just Sigewinne's, but about a third of it was apparently mine.

 "I don't make me guilt trip you into taking them. I spend way too much effort on doing that with Neuvillette already. Oh, on that note. Neuvillette! I have another suit for you!" She shouted to Neuvillette.

 "There is no need-"

 "If you don't take it I'll cut it into pieces and throw it out!"

 "...Fine."

 Well, that was easy.

 And it didn't require nearly as much effort as she was making it out to be.

 "So, Wiothesley- Can I call you Wriothesley?"

 "Yeah, sure. Go ahead.

 "Okay. So, Wriothesley, what do you do for work?" She asked.

 Well...

 That...

 "I work in law enforcement." I said eventually.

 Not exactly, but close enough.

 Chiori's hands sorting through the pile of clothes halted and she gave me a pointed look.

 "No, you don't."

 "Excuse me?"

 "You don't work in law enforcement. If you did, you wouldn't be able to get a single word more than absolutely necessary from Neuvillette, let alone that gentle smile of his. Let's not even talk about your chances of staying at his house being lower than zero."

 What?

 "Why?"

 Her eyes darkened a bit and she turned away from me, going back to sorting through the clothes.

 Probably another touchy subject, huh?

 I reckon she didn't even mean to bring it up.

 Just when I thought I wouldn't hear the rest-

 "When Neuvillette was eight, he dialed the emergency number, but his call was brushed off as a child's whining. The only people he thought might help him didn't. He lost trust in law enforcement since." She said softly.

 "That..."

 That's horrible!

 Even if it is a child placing the call, you can't just brush it off like that!

 Which crazy bastard would do that?!

 "While it's not exactly a secret, only very few people know about this incident so I would appreciate it if you didn't tell Neuvillette that I told you."

 "Of course." I nodded.

 That would probably only bring up bad memories anyway.

 I think I've done that more than enough this morning with the topic of his profession.

 I heard Chiori take a few deep breaths before quickly stuffing the now-folded clothes into bags.

 Seven bags.