Chapter 48 - Would you marry me?

Alternate title: A question shocking enough to decrease Wriothesley's EQ

~

~

Wriothesley's POV

 Uhm...

 Neuvillette has been staring at me an awful lot.

 Especially after Zhongli was tossed out of his office for attempting to say something Neuvillette didn't seem to like.

 It's not a bad stare or anything. He's just... staring.

 Like he is trying to figure out something.

 "Something troubling you?" I asked eventually.

 I couldn't take it anymore.

 My question seemed to snap him out of some daze.

 "Oh. My apologies. It wasn't my intention to stare."

 He pulled back a bit and that reminded me of just how close to each other we were sitting.

 And if that wasn't enough...

 "The mister obviously thinks you are handsome, Dad. It's only natural to stare at something you find nice to look at." Sigewinne chimed in from the couch across.

 God!

 My daughter will be the death of me!

 "Sigewinne-"

 "Hmm... That's not entirely wrong..." Neuvillette mumbled, effectively cutting off all of my thoughts.

 ??????

 Can you-

 Can you not say something like that so casually?!

 I swear, these two were born just to make me lose my mind!

 "But I am also troubled by the whole matter of the engagement. It creates a whole mountain's worth of work for me."

 "As your brother's lawyer?"

 "As both of their lawyers. These two and another... far more troublesome person who will want a lengthy conversation with me about this." He sighed.

 Oh?

 That's some important information.

 Zhongli I understand and expected, but to think Neuvillette is Childe's lawyer as well.

 And...

 A person more troublesome than these two?

 What troublesome person could have something to say about this engagement?

 ...

 It took me some time to finally come to a name. No, rather than a name, it was more of a title.

 "The Tsaritsa?"

 As soon as that came out of my mouth, Neuvillette gave me a look with a clear meaning.

 That's the end of that conversation.

 But I suppose I got a whole lot of information already.

 So Neuvillette is her lawyer as well, huh...

 That would mean he probably knows her name, her weakness-

 And... I should stop right there.

 It's not like he'll just tell me.

 I don't expect him to tell me, either.

 He's just doing his job hiding it and I'll have to do my job better to find out.