Chapter 27 - The first call for help

Happy New Year everyone!

~

There is a flashback in this chapter in Neuvillette's POV.

 The Neuvillette whose POV this is is not the present one, but rather the young one from back then.

 Also:

 TW for non-consensual drug use, mentions of abuse, and just an insane amount of trauma that I can't really put into words.

~

~

Wriothesley's POV

 I woke up early.

 Way too early for someone who was only able to fall asleep way after 3 am.

 I slept for like what? Five hours?

 Ugh...

 I need some tea. Or coffee. Preferably tea. Whatever Neuvillette has at this point.

 I carefully climbed out of bed, paying attention not to wake Sigewinne.

 She fell asleep late as well. Not as late as I, but way past her bedtime.

 She had been worried about Neuvillette and I didn't manage to make up an excuse for his absence that she believed.

 Luckily, I was able to slip out of the room without waking her up.

 I'll just get some tea and come back.

 As I asked towards the stairs, I couldn't help but look behind me towards the door of Neuvillette's room.

 Should I check up on him?

 He said his doctor would be arriving around nine or ten. 

 If there's no movement till then I'll go check.

 ...

 Apparently, there would be no need for that.

 I found Neuvillette sitting by the kitchen table downstairs drinking...

 Water?

 Probably not.

 Not with the way he grimaced when he took a sip.

 "Those little brats. They switched out the jars again." He mumbled, pushing the cup away from himself.

 I gently knocked on the door to alert him of my presence.

 "Good morning."

 "Could be better." He grumbled, sending a very uncharacteristic glare at his cup.

 "Something wrong with your drink?"

 Instead of answering, he grabbed the wooden container at the other end of the table and turned it towards me.

 Sugar, the label said.

 "I tend to drink water with a bit of sugar when I need a bit more energy." He explained.

 "And...?"

 What's wrong then?

 "Please. Feel free to taste the contents of this container." He sighed.

 I took a small pinch of the crystal-like substance and put it in my mouth.

It didn't take long for me to figure out why he was so grumpy.

 Salt.

 It was salt.

 Yeah. That definitely explains the grumpiness.