Chapter 17 - A sudden crisis

Neuvillette's POV

 I dropped the twins off at the orphanage, promising Freminet that I would bring his diving again next Monday.

 While he expressed that there was no need, he was clearly really excited about the idea so I filed it away in my calendar.

 After running a few more errands it had already gotten late.

 Since it was winter the sky was already dark by six.

 I was almost home when I suddenly got a call.

 I glanced down at the screen in the car my phone was connected to only to violently step on the brakes right after.

 ...

 I'm doing the same thing as Alhaitham.

 Shame on me.

 At least I did it in the same place too.

 I'm once again glad that this road is pretty much abandoned.

 I took another look at the caller and answered after parking at the side of the road.

 Navia (emergency number)

 There have only been three occasions when she used this number. All three of them incidents I would rather not repeat again.

 "Yes, Navia?" I picked up.

 "Wriothesley's apartment blew up." She said.

 ...

 I had to take a moment.

 "Excuse me?"

 What did she just say?

 "There was a gas leak. Half of the building blew up while the other half is... not so inhabitable anymore." She elaborated.

 "Are those two alright?" I asked warily.

 "They are fine. Wriothesley was kept late for work, so they got there right as the fire was being put out."

 Phew!

 As long as they are fine.

 "So, Clorinde has explained to me that the two of you are not and don't intend to date. A pity, but fair enough. That aside, I'm calling you to see if you would offer a guestroom." 

 "Hmm?"

 "Their apartment blew up. I repeat, their apartment blew up. They don't exactly have a place to sleep at the moment. They asked Clorinde and me but we're... We are having a bit of an argument at the moment and the house is all trashed up. Besides, we don't really have a spare room at the moment since my dad is staying with us. You on the other hand have more than one empty room and have never been one to refuse if someone asked you if they could use them." She explained.

 It was only now that it hit me.

 "You want me to offer them a place to stay?"

 "Exactly."

 We sank into an awkward silence.

 She was right. I had never rejected them when they needed a place to stay for a while but...

 I don't know Wriothesley all that well and his impression of me isn't all that positive.

 "If Wriothesley could afford a hotel they wouldn't live in a two-bedroom apartment." Navia pointed out.

 ...

 "I doubt they'll have fun couchsurfing. Wriothesley might still be fine, but Sigewinne is only six, so-"