Chapter 13 - Some answers

Neuvillette's POV

 I wanted nothing more than for the ground to swallow me up right now.

 How could I have allowed myself to land in this situation? To be carried around in someone's arms like this...

 This is incredibly embarrassing.

 "So..." Wriothesley started speaking.

 "If you want to ask something, just ask."

 At least that might keep my mind off the position I'm in.

 "Do you drink?"

 "Not unless I'm suicidal."

 Alcohol and my painkillers don't match well.

 He gave me a look that screamed 'what the f*ck?'.

 Alright. I should have probably worded that differently.

 "No, I do not drink. I neither enjoy nor am allowed to consume alcohol. I prefer plain water." I clarified.

 He hummed in acknowledgment before asking another question.

 "Why don't you use your cane more often?"

 "It showed weakness. Someone in my position cannot show any weakness even if those watching are aware of it."

 Even if every group or criminal organization around already knows, they cannot be allowed to see it.

 "So those that shouldn't know already do." He concluded.

 "They are the cause, of course they know."

 Wriothesley gave me an unreadable look.

 He opened his mouth a few times but shut it time and time again, eventually opting to stay silent.

 Sigh...

 "I took a bullet to my spine. It was a misfire. I wasn't the target." I answered his unspoken question. 

 Wrong place, wrong time.

 And now I'm stuck in the damn situation.

 I somewhat expected him to ask about the details, but he changed the subject instead.

 "Do you often lose the ability to walk?"

 "I don't lose the ability to walk. I would have been able to get outside on my own eventually. Sometimes the pain is simply so strong that my brain rejects the idea of putting more weight on it."

 "So you just take some meds and walk on it anyway?"

 "I usually go home and rest at this point."

 "Oh? But I heard you would have preferred to go to work instead." He gave me a look

 I couldn't help but flinch slightly.

 Did Alhaitham leave his phone on speaker again?

 How many times have I told him to pay attention?

 "Have you been around Sigewinne while under the influence of your meds?"

 "No." I answered firmly.

 Who in their right mind would be near a child while under the influence of a strong medication?

 "How do you decide whether you prosecute or defend someone?"

 "Excuse me?"

 That question had come so suddenly that I didn't quite know what to do with it just yet.