Chapter Thirty-Three

While Haugen began to provide instruction to the team, providing tips on sniping, Larsen caught my eye. I stiffened at the tense expression and followed the direction she nudged her head in. Once far enough away from the others, she rested her fist on a nearby tree, removing her mask to reveal her frown. "I know Haugen told you," she informed me, and I stiffened further. "She can't keep her mouth shut, even for being special forces."

"I don't know what you mean," I lied, leaning my back against the tree while I crossed my arms over my chest.

"You on the other hand are actually tough to get info out of," she loosely complimented me. "That's why they never got you to crack. But unlike them, I know your tell."

"I don't have a tell."

"Sure do. Your right eyebrow rises the slightest bit whenever you lie. Took me years to learn that, but now nothing gets past me."

I grinned, reminding her, "You're the smartest darn woman I know."

"I know. That's why I'll be leading the best of the best into battle. No one's better at the job than me."

"And so humble."

Larsen chuckled, nudging my side as she informed me, "I fought for you. I really did. I know how much you need to prove yourself after what you went through. The Admiral's made her decision. She's apparently been gathering evidence to prove that you weren't mentally fit."

"Oh, yeah? What all has she gathered?"

I listened to Larsen sigh as she answered softly, the emotions heavy in her voice, "Testimony from your military therapist. He agrees; you should have never returned to the field. She has footage of you running from the barracks when General Douchebag ordered you to remain; defying direct orders from a superior, even if he was in the wrong. And...footage of not just one, but two of your fellow officers visiting your personal cabin in the night. One who spent the night with you."

I nodded slowly, admitting, "So she's a little justified. I haven't exactly been on my best behavior since returning. Not that I heard this from anyone, but apparently I won't be offered another contract?"

"No more field work," she confirmed.

I sighed, mulling over the information before asking, "What about training? Can I...do you think I can stay here, as long as I'm training others?"

Larsen's smile slowly grew across her face as she realized that I wasn't going to fight this. That I was negotiating for an alternative that I could handle. "I hoped you'd suggest that. The Admiral will approve of you being the lead trainer, so long as you continue your therapy."

"I want a new therapist, but, yeah, I'll do it."

Larsen offered her right hand and we shook firmly. "It's a deal. I'll update the Admiral tonight. She won't be able to join the festivities due to other obligations, but when she's returned, she'll inform the others of the updates. For the time being, keep it to yourself. She's also sending us more experts. Pulling top operatives from the best militaries on the globe. I'm...actually thinking pretty positively now."

I sighed in relief, admitting, "That'll help me sleep at night."

She giggled, teasing, "Not the giant man you slept with?"

"Oh, he for sure helped. I didn't even have night terrors. Have I had any since those two have been sleeping beside me?"

"Nope."

We returned to the group while I smiled, watching Ghost expertly fire at the target while König struggled to get in a comfortable position. Grabbing my sack, I placed it on the bench he was fidgeting on, and he sighed in relief as he rested his knee on the sack. I guided the butt of the rifle into the right position, feeling surprisingly calm while I instructed him. Maybe I needed to be a trainer all along?