Chapter Forty-Nine

Russ's personal activities apparently didn't calm him one bit, arguing with Ghost and Larsen over how the packs need to be distributed. Ghost wanted the larger men to carry the most, while Larsen wanted to try to even out the weights in case the largest people needed to be carried. Meanwhile, Russ demanded that the sacks be exchanged throughout the run in order to reduce exhaustion.

I stepped back and watched the interaction closely, analyzing how each person thought and communicated. Larsen enjoyed pulling rank over the others, while Ghost emphasized his experience over Russ. While Russ had been in the military the least, I'd read through his operations: he excelled in high-stress, highly dangerous environments. He understood how to create a plan quickly to keep everyone alive. Heck, his heroics and protection of his own team were highlighted. Would he do the same with this team?

Counting down on my watch, I declared, "Time's up for debating. Pick a sack and get your asses moving." Russ glared at me while everyone gathered a sack, going with Ghost's idea while Larsen cursed at them in Norwegian under her breath. For a strategic mastermind, she didn't handle her authority being challenged well.

Once everyone was ready, I set a timer on my march, announcing, "Let's move." Russ seemed surprised that I ran with them, carrying my own sack with emergency supplies in case someone was injured or we became stuck in the snow. I remained at the rear, watching them closely. They quickly broke into groups of their own task forces, leaving Russ alone as he sped forward to be in the front.

As we ran, Larsen and Russ began arguing, wasting energy on needless debates when he told her to listen to him in the future. Larsen pulled rank once more, listing her successful operations while he ignored her. "You're such a smug bastard!" she yelled when he didn't respond to her demands.

"Larsen," I called ahead of me, and she glanced over her shoulder while she ran. "Your yelling draws attention. You're shot and unable to move forward."

"What the fuck?" Russ cursed when Larsen groaned loudly, lying on the ground with a scowl.

"Show up on time and you'll hear the full challenges of the day, Russ," I grumbled.

König automatically shifted to carry Larsen, tucking his arms beneath her knees and back to haul her into the air. "Let's move," he commanded, taking off while in his serious mode.

"Wait, why are we rushing?" Russ called when the group hurried after the giant.

"We have to run ten kilometers in two hours," Aksel informed him.

"What's that in American?"

"Little over six miles. Now, move, cause she'll make us do this again if we fail," Haugen answered, breathless and irritated. Every time she slipped in the snow, she turned over her shoulder to send a glare my way, and I struggled not to laugh.

König lost his quick pace as we ran, losing his incredible endurance as time passed. I checked my watch as we neared the halfway mark, informing them, "König, you're carrying the heaviest sack as well as Larsen while in full gear. We're in the desert; you've got heat stroke. You're down."

"The fuck?" Russ protested, and König apologized as he lowered himself to the ground.

"Kalberg!" Haugen cursed before throwing a snowball at me. "You're being mean."

"I'm making a point," I responded sternly. "Now, get to hauling. You're halfway done with forty minutes to go. I expected you all to move quicker than this."

"It's snowing!" Price reminded me, as if I'd forgotten. I was covered head to toe in the stuff, as were they.

"And you'll be running in the loose sand. Make a plan and get moving; clock's ticking."

"Wait! I know what to do," Andersen determined, removing her jacket and taking Aksel's. Tying them together, she made a makeshift blanket, getting help to roll König into place. Ghost and Russ began to drag him, cursing when their boots failed to get a good grip. Gaz lifted Larsen while Aksel pushed on König's legs.

"This wouldn't of happened if we'd switched packs," Russ grumbled, arguing with Ghost as they struggled to pull their teammate.

"Wouldn't have happened if you'd given König a lighter pack," Larsen added, and the bickering continued.

Through what could only be loosely defined as teamwork, they managed to move him, although slowly. We barely made it another kilometer before my alarm blared. "That'd be a failure," I announced. "Let's go again."

"I fucking hate you," Haugen cursed, collapsing into the snow as she chugged her water bottle. The others rested when I gave them permission, panting and drinking while they discussed new strategies. Russ openly glared at me and I lowered my mask, chugging my water as I maintained eye contact with him before winking. My wink threw him off and his gaze quickly dropped, adjusting his gear as he seemed surprised.