Chapter Sixty-Four

König wouldn't leave my side, permanently adhered to me as I recovered. He'd washed me first in warm water until my shivers stopped, letting the steam soothe my lungs. Now, I was tucked beneath every blanket in the cabin, dressed in his clothing while he cradled me against him. His fist clenched my thigh onto his hip, his eyes forever scanning my face as I rested.

I snuggled into König's bare chest, enjoying the warmth from his muscular body. My fingers trailed along the scars on his flesh, making him shiver as he struggled not to reveal that he was ticklish. He'd positioned me to rest where the fire warmed my back, his bare hand stroking my face and back as he monitored my improving breath.

Ghost returned late in the night, waking me when he knocked. "I'll get it," König whispered, before pinching my rear. "I mean it this time, Kalberg."

I giggled before murmuring, "Angerboda." König paused in confusion and I explained, "You're the only one of the guys who calls me by my last name. Angerboda is my first name; you can call me it."

"Angerboda," he repeated happily before firmly nodding his head. "Alexander."

"Alexander," I whispered with a wide grin. "Can I get away with Alex?"

"Don't push it." I giggled and he swatted my rear playfully before leaving, letting Ghost inside. He updated Ghost on my condition when he asked, quickly returning to me as he slipped beneath the blankets to cradle me once again.

"You look better," Ghost muttered, and I peeked over the mountain of blankets to see him leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest. Although his tone was encouraging, I got the impression that he was actually mad. His dark eyes were seething with rage, glaring at me while he observed how I was positioned with König. I thought he was over his jealousy?

"I feel better," I agreed. König stroked my face, lulling me to close my eyes again as I snuggled into his chest once again. My thigh hooked onto his hip, his other hand reaching beneath the blankets to grasp onto my rear firmly. "How's Russ?"

"He had to be airlifted," Ghost grumbled irritably. "König, did you really have to use him to break a tree?"

König shrugged innocently, chiming, "He needed to know that she's mine, not his. I'd break the entire forest with his face if I had the time."

My eyes opened widely as I observed the enormous man who gingerly cradled me against him. When did his possessiveness get this strong? König kissed my forehead before meeting Ghost's stern gaze, revealing the threat he exchanged: Ghost was next.

Ghost seemed to get the message, shifting off of the doorframe to approach my side of the bed. König continued glaring at him, gripping me closer to him as his eyes remained fixated on the other soldier's movements. Ghost ignored the look, peering instead at the travel book on my bedside table.

He skimmed through the pages before stopping at the red tab, reading the text carefully before firmly nodding his head. Returning the book to the table, he stepped away from König's attention, returning to the doorframe. "Storm, do you remember our discussion on the plane here?" he asked bitterly, and I nodded.

"Yes? The counter offer that we haven't really kept up."

Ghost shifted on his feet before correcting, "I asked what you would do if we couldn't come to an agreement. If you would pick one of us."

My brows furrowed and I sat upward with König's help, his hands quickly readjusting the pillows behind my back. "Yeah? But I told you it was all or nothing. I wouldn't choose."

Ghost nodded before shifting his question, gesturing at the book. "When are you two planning on beginning your little adventure?"

König stiffened beside me before deciding to lift me onto his lap, relaxing as he held me closely. "Our contracts end around the same time," he answered firmly. "We'll leave soon after."

"To the Swiss Alps, by the looks of it," Ghost muttered. Why did he sound so pained right now? "You two plan to travel, then what?"

"We'll find a place to settle. She doesn't want Norway, and I don't want Austria. So somewhere neutral," König informed him, and I nodded in agreement.

"Can't get more neutral than Swizerland," Ghost grumbled.

I squirmed on König's lap, adding, "If you're still interested in this relationship when you get out of your contract, you can join us."

"Us," he repeated, his teeth grinding as if the word tasted disgusting in his mouth. Ghost remained quiet for an eerily long period of time, glaring at the floor before his attention returned to me. "Storm, my goal with this relationship was to get you ready for the mission," he informed me. "To adhere to what the professional suggested for your recovery, that way you went into this with a clear head. But the more I get to know you, the more I realize that you will never listen to reason, so long as it involves the military."

"W-what?"

Ghost's eyes bore a hole in mine. "You prioritize others over yourself. You never listen to professional advise, to the point that you lied about your doctor's clearance. I can't help you if you won't help yourself, so I'm out."

"Out?" I repeated in shock, and König held me on his lap when I squirmed in anger. "You're breaking up with me because I ran in the woods? I-I thought...what you said in the shower...?"

"I lied," he responded bitterly, his eyes flashing with emotion. "I never loved you. I'm making the decision for you; we're done."