Chapter Sixty-Nine

I should feel miserable that the others were training without me. They'd been assigned another trainer, who was working closely with them in my absence. For whatever reason, my mother still had me listed as the head of the mission despite knowing that I wasn't able to step out my front door.

König was particularly strict about us not even venturing out to get more firewood–orders were orders. Instead, we relied on the base's soldiers to deliver food or other supplies. I should hate this, but it felt like the vacation I'd never taken. The vacation I'd been told would be amazing for me to recover from a lifetime of hardship.

I had my virtual therapy sessions almost daily. Otherwise, König and I were alone. He remained mask free as often as possible, and between our sinful moments we snuggled and got to know each other better. We cooked from an Austrian cookbook we'd been given, remaking some of the meals that he'd enjoyed early in life. German was the language most spoken in Switzerland, so we spoke primarily in the language to teach me and prepare for the visit the moment we were freed from contracts and the investigation.

We tensed when a knock at the door drew our attention. We quickly dressed and I helped get his mask in place before opening the front door. My mother stood rigidly on the porch, telling us, "They're about to land. Join me in the communications room."

I slipped on my coat before following her, my lungs instantly burning at the cold. She flashed me a sympathetic, yet told-ya-so look as I coughed. König wrapped his arms around me, warming me while we stomped through the snow.

The communications room was a space sealed off from lower ranks. The rows of chairs were filled with nervous officers, the screen ahead showing the vitals of the Hunters. They were being flown in to a nearby area, to then run through the sand for ten kilometers to the destination: a compound owned by one of the most powerful gun dealers in the world.

The compound was arguably the most secure place on the planet, with guards always posted and ready for action. There were turrets along the thick concrete walls and rebar bars covered the top of the compound, preventing people from dropping within. My mother dragged me into a seat when I'd frozen in fear, nervous at the sight on the screen. The surveillance van wasn't far away, pointing several cameras at the compound as the vehicle tried to hide among the mostly abandoned rural town.

König sat beside me, taking my hand with a reassuring squeeze. My eyes watered as I read the names in repetition: Larsen, Andersen, Riley, MacTavish, Price, Eriksen. They'd wanted five or six people total for this operation, and that's what they'd gotten in the end. Ghost was the head sniper; Andersen and Price the boots in the front. Everyone had strict instructions on their roles, and hopefully, my plan would work.

The pilot was Lieutenant Larsen. Why is it always Larsen? He rambled through the intercoms, counting down the distance as they approached the destination. Tears began to stream down my cheeks, the anticipation building while I struggled to breathe.

"See how I felt whenever your pale butt was in their shoes?" my mother whispered into my ear, before resting her arm across my shoulders. "I watched them train. They've got this."

"Alrighty, boys and girls," Lieutenant Larsen spoke into the coms. "We're dropping the door now. Thanks for flying–"

"Larsen, politely shut the fuck up," Sergeant Major Larsen grumbled, and I giggled.

"My apologies. You look really cute–ouch!"

"They're a bunch of idiots," my mother muttered humorously. "No wonder you liked them."

"Fit right in," I agreed, and she laughed. We were trying to break the tension that could never be broken. I could hear the concern in her voice, and she heard mine.

"This is a weird time to ask, but are you two planning on any little idiots of your own?" my mother asked, and König nearly fell out of his seat. "I know her lady bits are twisted, but adoption? I'd like some grandbabies."

"Mor," I scolded her, and she shrugged innocently.

"Two," she instructed König, who looked at me in shock and fear.

"We'll discuss it. Can we shut up and focus now? They're dropping."

"Of course." She shifted to speak to him behind my back while I grumbled and focused on the screen. "Your parents. Will they be involved?"

"Uh, no. We aren't super close," he answered stiffly.

"Perfect. Cause I don't want to share my grandbabies on the holidays. I expect you all to either visit me or I visit you, every holiday. Are you a good Christian man?"

"Uh, I've killed an awful lot of people to be a–"

"SHUSH, you two!" I barked, and they both sunk into their chairs, focusing on the screen as well.