1

One thing I hated about New York, besides everything, was how cold it gotten once halloween passed.

It's barely been November for a few days, and here I am shivering on the way to the train.

I currently had on a striped scarf, brown puffer jacket, over my black work button up, and my black work pants, but it still felt like I was still severely underdressed.

I work at a restaurant that is 45 minutes away from my apartment, and the only form of transportation I have is the train, and that's if I didn't miss it yet.

I swear the sleep was so good, I convinced myself alarms weren't even invented yet, and here I am late for work because of it.

I sped down the busy streets squeezing through the usual crowds of people, hoping I was able to catch my train at the last second, like something out of a movie.

I never really noticed the amount of people that actually lived here until I had to push through half the city just to catch a train.

I had moved to New York when I got accepted into my dream college, before then I had lived in Hawaii all my life.

My mom was born in Hawaii and my dad was from California. For his highschool graduation trip, his class went to Hawaii, where he met my mom and they fell in love. My mom then moved to California with my dad and when I was three they moved back to Hawaii.

On most days I find myself reminiscing about the life I left behind there. My mom and dad were more than supportive of my dreams and me moving to a different state, but it didn't make leaving them easier.

I can't help but think that maybe I didn't make the right decision.

I was quickly pulled out of my thoughts as soon as I saw my usual subway entrance. I started taking 2 steps at a time rushing through the crowds of people, who I hoped were also late.

If everyone is late am I really in the wrong?

As I approached the turnstile, I pulled my card out of my pocket and swiftly paid the fare. On a usual day where I'm not late I would just hop over the bars, but I didn't have time for imperfections today. I just hoped that the train was there.

I swear I'll never sleep again if it means I didn't miss the train this morning.

As if all my hopes and wishes were answered, there it was, the sound of the train announcer filled my ears and I began sprinting to the now closing doors.

A bunch of 'excuse me's' and 'sorries' left my mouth faster than I could process.

I quickly squeezed through the train doors and onto the train as the doors shut.

I made it.

I was completely out of breath and with all the layers I had on it felt like it was a summer day again.

After the full body work out I just endured I began looking around for a seat. It was fairly packed this morning so I started walking down the aisle until I spotted an empty seat next to this older woman who shot me a slight smile. I smiled back at her and managed to sit down before the train started moving.

Once I was settled in I pulled out my phone to check the time.

8:04

I should be there on time if everything goes exactly how it's been going the past year.