5. " Unknown Origins "

After finishing their investigation in the human world, Toushirou and Rangiku went back to Soul Society and reported everything to the head captain along with the Gotei 13.

"Alright dismiss, and Kurotsuchi-taichou, we'll wait for the results regarding the dimensional rift and the Chained Hollows that Hitsugaya-taichou investigated. Send every captain a copy of it when you're done.", the Head Captain, Yamamoto Genryusai sternly said.

"I'll get right to it.", Mayuri, the 12th division captain said.

Afterwards, Toushirou and Rangiku went back to the 10th division barracks to finish up their paperwork.

"Haah!... I'm beat! Give me a break already!", Rangiku complained as she slumps to the couch.

"Stop slacking off! The sooner you finish, the sooner you can rest.", Toushirou scolded.

"Hai, hai..... but really, I wonder if that little girl got back to her family.", she said.

"She's not just your concern anymore. If my suspicions are correct then we all might be in trouble.", Toushirou said with a serious look on his face.

As they continue to work, someone called from outside.

"Sir, the results from Kurotsuchi-taichou's investigation on the dimensional rift has just arrived.", one of his subordinates said.

"Bring them here.", Toushirou said.

Couple of papers were laid out on his desk and Toushirou reads them thoroughly.

"It's just as I thought.", Toushirou muttered.

"What does it say?", Rangiku asked.

"It says here that aside from their sudden increase, they also became more active and attacked Shinigamis and wandering souls.", Toushirou said.

"That's not good. What about the dimensional rift?", Rangiku asked.

"It was a trace left behind by someone or something that got transported from another place."

"Did they found out where it originated?", Rangiku asked.

"Unfortunately, no."

"So we're at another dead end.", Rangiku said as she sighs.

Toushirou ponders for a while and remembered the incident with Yuuki and Momo.

"Matsumoto, can you call on Hinamori here? I need to talk to her about something.", he said.

"Hai, I'll bring her right away.", Rangiku said and leaves.

Several minutes later, Rangiku came back with Momo trailing behind.

"Hitsugaya-kun? Rangiku-san told me that you wanted to talk to me about something?", Momo asked.

"Hinamori, it's not Hitsugaya-kun, it's Hitsugaya-taichou, and yes have a seat.", Toushirou said.

(He looks tired.), Momo thought as she looks at Toushirou.

She sits down at the couch across Toushirou.

"What is it?", Toushirou asked when he noticed her staring.

"Shiro you look tired maybe you should take a break.", Momo said in concern.

"I'm fine. Anyway on to our discussion, back when we first encountered those Chained Hollows we also met a little girl, right?", Toushirou asked.

"Yeah, how can I forget? You saved her from a Chained Hollow. It was also the very first known incident of their appearance.", Momo said with a hint of sadness in her face.