41. " Pledge of Loyalty "

While Hanatano was being healed at the 4th division barracks, Toushiro went to the Head Captain and reported their encounter. It was already dark since they spent almost the entire day searching for Nagisa. Afterwards, he looks around for Yuuki to talk to her.

Meanwhile, Masahiko and Nagisa were deep in conversation somewhere outside the 4th division barracks.

"You haven't told her yet?!", Nagisa angrily asked.

"Come on! As if it's easy to tell her that!", Masahiko said. "I know now how painful it is to lose my bestfriend but what do you think Yuuki would feel once she knows someone very important to her is gone?!"

"Even so.... she still has the right to know....", Nagisa said with a sad look on her face.

Masahiko clenched his fists and turns his back to Nagisa. He knows what she said is true, plus they don't have much time and heads back to where Yuuki is. He finally made up his mind to tell her the truth. He enters the room where Hanataro was resting with Yuuki sitting beside him.

"How's he doing?", Masahiko asked.

"He's doing fine now but he needs plenty of rest.", Yuuki said.

After a short silence, Masahiko took a deep breath and faces her.

"We should talk.", he said with a serious look on his face in which Yuuki didn't fail to notice.

Yuuki nods and rose up from her seat. Silence fell between the two as they look for someplace to talk. Then they found a Japanese garden with a small pond and started to talk under the Niwaki tree.

"I'm sorry.", Yuuki suddenly said.

"Why are you apologizing?"

"It's because I messed up that Hell was totally engulfed by the Abyss."

"What?!! So soon?!!", Masahiko said with a surprised look on his face.

"You didn't know? I thought you guys were aware of it?"

"Yes we were.... but I didn't think it would be that fast."

"Me too....", Yuuki said and clenched her fists in frustration.

"Yuuki.... it's not your fault, don't torture yourself over this. If you continue to lose hope then everything will really be over.", Masahiko said in a firm voice as he placed his hands over her shoulders.

"I'm not.... it's just that.... I can't help but worry.... the seal suddenly weakend... why would it weaken when Haru-nii is the one giving power to it? Did something happen to him? Is he okay?", Yuuki asked in concern.

At her words, Masahiko's hold on her shoulders tightens and stares at her with a totured look on his face.

"Ma-kun?", Yuuki called.

"I'm sorry....", he mumbled.

"Why are you the one apologizing now?"

Masahiko built the courage to tell her that Haru went in search for Shinjo settle everything. However, things didn't go well which ended up with Haru greatly weakening Shinjo and sealing him into a crystal coffin using the last ounce of his strength.

"...... Yuuki..... Haru is gone.....", Masahiko mournfully said. "When we arrived Miharu was the who finished him off when his body got possessed by a Shadow.", he hesitantly said.

It took a while for his words to sink in as Yuuki stares blankly at him.

".... no.....", Yuuki said in a low trembling voice.

Masahiko saw the tormented look on her face and held her tightly. Yuuki clenched onto the fabric of his clothes. She burries her face onto his shoulders and cries her heart out.