Chapter 34: The Talk

Calum's POV

"Calum Thomas Hood." Oh God. I am so dead.

Those are my thoughts as I am standing in front of Max, Brooke's older brother. He's supposedly going to have a talk with me, which I already probably know what he is going to say.

I wonder what all Brooke has told him. She has probably told him everything. She said they tell each other everything with no secrets between them. So I'm guessing he knows what happened the other night after the club.

It doesn't really help me that he interrupted us saying 'I love you' and then a heated kiss. I didn't know who he was when Brooke took off running to him.

As soon as I found out that who he is, I immediately dropped my arm from her waist. I don't need another reason for him to want to kill me.

Luke has told me some stories about what Max has done in the past. Marie filled me in on what he has done since they joined him in college too.

I visibly gulp as he continues after stating me name. My whole freaking name.

--

"I have found out quite a lot about you. I know that you like to party and hook up with random chicks." Max stops to glare at me before continuing.

"I do know for a fact that you aren't going to hurt my sister or else I might just have to hurt you."

"Max, listen the last thing I want to do is to hurt Brooke. I really do lo..." I try to explain, but he takes a step closer and cuts me off.

"Don't think I don't know what happened the other night." I gulp again.

Yup it's official, I am definitely going to die.

"But, I also know what you have been doing ever since that night. Not drinking a whole lot."

Max starts to pace back and forth. It seems like he is trying to find the right words. I just stay quiet, seeming that it's best if I do.

"Brooke, she... She's been through a lot okay. When we were little and growing up. If she knew I was even telling you this little bit she would kill me." He jokes trying to lighten the mood.

Brooke has been through a lot? When she was little and growing up? She doesn't want me to know?

I have so many questions about her past. I don't even know if I will ever get an answer for some of them. Max isn't going to give them up, then how would I expect Brooke too.

"I just don't want to see her hurt again, okay? That's why I try so hard to make sure that doesn't happen. I have always done this since we were kids. I know that you know Luke broke her heart, but she was hurt before that. That's why she fell so easily for him."

I take in everything that he is telling me hoping that I can make sense of it all.

"I can tell that you are a good guy and all. But, that doesn't mean I still trust you. I am going to be staying around for a few days to spend time with Brooke, but I am going to be watching you as well."

"Okay, I get it. You are just looking out for her and I respect that. Hurting her is the absolute last thing I ever want to do. I do truly love her. I have known that since I first laid eyes on her at our concert."

Max takes in my words and gives me a small smile. Hopefully I can show him that I meant everything I just said. He sticks out his hand again, but this time I don't hesitate to shake it.

I completely understand where he is coming from.

--

We walk back to the hotel in silence. It's not long before I get to my room. It turns out that Max's hotel room is directly across the hall from us. That's mostly likely not a coincidence.

I walk into the hotel room and see Brooke fell asleep on the couch. She has a few tears falling down her face.

I gently pick her up bridal style and carry her to the bed. On the way, she wraps her arms around my neck and places he head on my chest.

I gently place her on the bed under the covers. I walk over a take off my shirt and pants, leaving me in my boxers.

I go and lay down beside Brooke as she is turning over to face the other way. I wrap my arm around her waist and pull her back to my front.

I kiss her head and whisper, "You are just full of mysteries aren't you?"

She doesn't move so I continue, "I love you, Brooke."

Just before I go to sleep I hear in a faint whisper, "You will find out soon. Love you too Cal."

--

As I slowly wake up, I can feel someone stroking my hair. I pretend to still be asleep to let her continue. It's really relaxing and making me want to go back to sleep.

After about ten minutes she starts to try to wake me up. I still pretend to be asleep. I want to see what all she would do.

Brooke starts to gently say my name in a sing-song voice. Then, she moves to lightly shaking me. Since my eyes are closed I definitely didn't expect this.

I feel her soft lips press to mine. I am shocked for a second, but I soon start to kiss her back, only for her all too soon to pull away.

"Good you are awake." She says while giggling. I open my eyes to be face to face with her.

Her smile soon fades as she says the words that mean I am going to get answers. "I need to tell you some stuff."

My smile fades as my curiosity grows.

--

*Edited*

Thanks so much for reading. Please vote and comment.