Chapter 44: Advice From Luke

Brooke's POV

Waking up this morning wasn't to bad. I don't have too bad of a hangover, thankfully. I don't know about Calum yet, but I can see him still asleep.

I attempt to get up, only to be pulled back to bed. I raise my hand up to push some of Calum's hair back from his face. His head moves into my touch. I give him a light kiss on the cheek.

Those two actions prove to have been a distraction for me to be able to get up. I make sure that Calum is still sleeping, only to see him now hugging a pillow.

I stifle a giggle while gathering him some pain killers and a bottle of water for when he wakes up.

I grab out of my suitcase, my favorite All Time Low shirt and black skinny jeans so I can have a quick shower.

--

After my shower, I walk back into the room to see Calum still asleep. I go back into the bathroom to put on my make up and straighten my hair.

Just as I finish with the last piece of my hair, I hear a knock at the door.
I open the door to find Luke.

"Hey Luke. What's up?" I move to the side so he can come in.

"Is Calum still asleep?" He asks as he looks around.

"Yes. I can wake him up if you need him though." He shakes his head and focuses his attention back on me.

"No it's fine. I was actually wondering if you wanted to go get some breakfast with me." Luke rubs the back of his neck, making his nervousness clear.

"Um...sure. Just let me put on my shoes." I slide on my black converses and follow Luke out the door.

--

It doesn't take long for us to get to McDonalds, making small talk on the way.

We order our breakfast, but when I go to pay Luke beats me to it. "I could have paid for mine."

"I know, but I invited you so I should pay." I nod as we are handed our food.

Once we get sat down and start eating, I go to question Luke's intention.

"Luke, I know that you want to talk about something." He looks up at me with a small smile.

"You can always tell. You're right I did want to talk to you."

"Okay shoot," I take a bite out of my biscuit.

"What happened to the old Brooke?"

That caught me completely off guard. That's the last thing I ever expected from Luke.

"What do you mean?"

"The Brooke that I knew, the one that I fell in love with, she never would have went out drinking or partying. She would always be caught reading or studying for a test that was a week away. The Brooke that was nice to everyone and always made everyone smile. What happened to her?"

It takes me a few minutes to take in everything that Luke said. A lot of things have changed about me.

"Luke, after you left things got worse. Of course I was heartbroken, but then things at home got bad. When Max was old enough to leave and he took me with him, I told myself that day that I wasn't going to be the same."

I took a minute to look up at Luke. He's still waiting for me to continue.

"I promised myself that I wasn't going to be that quiet, broken little girl anymore. I wanted to be a new person. Someone who wouldn't get run over, someone who can stand up for herself. I wanted and still want to be what I wasn't when I was little. Do you understand what I'm trying to say? It's hard to describe it sorry."

"No, it's fine. I get what you're saying. You are different, stronger and that's great. I just never would have pictured you as this."

By now we have both finished our breakfast, but not quite our conversation.

"I know, not a lot of people do. My mom doesn't even approve." I whisper that last part even though I can tell Luke caught it.

"What does she think?" He presses on.

"I'm a disappointment. I never go to see her anymore, and I'm nothing like the daughter she pictured."

"Oh. When is the last time you have seen your mom?"

"Um...I think since Max and I left," I fill him in as he looks at me shocked.

"Okay, when is the last time you talked to her?"

"A few weeks ago she called me and we talked for a few minutes. Every time we talk, it always ends in an argument. I just don't see the point anymore."

Luke lets out a breath and looks back up at me.

"I know after everything you went through you probably don't ever want to talk to your mom again, but you should give her another chance. I know she still loves you, Brooke."

I take in what Luke has said. He does have a point. I know my mom still loves me, but I hate the arguments. She needs to understand that I'm never going to be the daughter she wants me to be.

"Thanks Luke."

"No problem. Let's get back to the hotel before they start looking for us."

--

Luke and I are heading back to the hotel and having a lot of fun. He's driving while I skip through the radio.

Whenever we find a good song that we know, of course we sing along, but it's absolutely terrible. If we are stopped at a light, we get the weirdest looks from people.

After getting so many looks from other people, Luke and I started making faces of our own.

"Oh my God. Did you see that lady's face." Luke says in between laughs, "I think you actually scared her."

"Her face was priceless," is all I can get out.

We have laughed so much, my stomach hurts and I'm pretty sure Luke's does too.

"Brooke hold on." I didn't have time to register what Luke was talking about before I felt it.

He tried to swerve out of the way, but it didn't work. A truck comes in right through my door.

All I see is glass flying everywhere before I close my eyes. It all happens so fast as my head hits something and it hits hard.

It feels like the whole world is slowing down. I don't feel us moving anymore, but I can hear Luke calling my name.

I try to open my eyes or even answer him, but I can't. I can feel myself slowly starting to shut down until I can't feel anything.

--

*Edited*

Okay, don't hate me but Luke and Brooke just got into a car accident. Not to mention that the next chap will be the last.

Don't worry though, if you read the upcoming sequel Close As Strangers you will find out what happens to Calum and Brooke.

Please vote and comment. Thanks so much for reading and sticking to Amnesia. Really hope you guys check out the sequel when I publish it.