4

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 4: Reckless Behavior

{D.K}

"I need your help." Damon begged, surprising Dakota only slightly. His blue orbs shown genuine worry and guilt.

Dakota let out a bored sigh, resting her glass full of soccer mom on the table beside her. "What'd you do now, Damon?"

"The rituals tonight and I may've forced Elena to drink my blood."

"I thought Elijah's elixir was the road we were taking?"

He rolled his eyes, laying down on Dakota's couch. "I wasn't about to put my faith in that iffy crap. I needed one-hundred percent proof she'll survive this ritual."

"So instead of sticking to the plan, you decided to be a selfish bastard and give the doppelgänger your blood." Dakota laughed humorlessly, running her finger over the rim of the half finished glass of blood. "She's more like Katerina that I thought."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? She's nothing like that backstabbing bitch."

"She doesn't need to be." She simply retorts. "As long as the lot of you continue to risk your life for some teenage girl, you'll all be damned. Just like with Katerina."

Damon paused, his gaze set on the ceiling. "I'm already damned, might as well be damned for something useful."

"I pity you, Damon."

He toyed with his daylight ring, twirling it subconsciously with his surrounding fingers. "And why is that?"

"Because you continue to devote yourself to women who will never treat you like you deserve."

"And what exactly do I deserve?"

"A woman who loves you as recklessly as you love them."

    Dakota never was people person, even as a human. Essentially, she preferred to stay by herself. Maybe that's why her people skills were so bad. "How interesting to see you here sweetheart." Klaus sat beside her at the bar, his blue eyes looking down at her, that small glint of anger hidden poorly in his eye.

       "Not really." Matt, one of Elena's old play things walked over to Dakota and put the plate of food that she ordered down before her. "Thank you," Dakota acknowledges, immediately reaching for the small container of cocktail sauce so she could dip her cheese sticks in. "Is there a particular reason you decided to interrupt my lovely evening?"

       Klaus smiled, his dark pink lips capturing her attention. "Actually yes," Klaus pulled a stake out of nowhere and shoved it deep into her gut. Dakota looked down at the intrusion in her stomach and pulled the object out, carelessly setting it beside them on the counter. "How the-"

       "Being alive for almost nine hundred years helps you learn a trick or two." Klaus stared at the female in shock, his brows furrowed deeply across his forehead. "Number one, be in good graces with witches, because even while dead. They're willing to do a favor for you. Including making sure these stakes don't hurt as bad when stabbed," Dakota took a bite out of the crispy cheese stick and moaned quietly at the taste. "-course I can still die from one, but it takes a tad more effort."

"What witch do you have helping you?" He snarled, clenching his jaw.

    Dakota looked over at him, smiling as she chewed the food. "You mean how many, right? Because that would be the more accurate statement."

"Fine. How many witches do you have helping you."

    She popped the last cheese stick in her mouth, throwing some money down on the table and getting from my seat. "That's none of your business, silly." Dakota bopped his nose and walked out of the grill.

"I was going to use you for the ritual, you know." He spoke, easily catching up to her. "Your disrespect bothered me the other day. You ruined my favorite shirt."

    Dakota rolled her brown eyes. "I'm sure you have plenty of money to buy another." She felt his blue eyes locked on the side of her face much longer than she felt comfortable with. "Why aren't you using me for the ritual? I was a complete ass to you, and you're just going to let me go? That makes no sense."

Klaus leaned in, pressing his soft lips against her triple pierced ear, whispering so softly it tickled. "Allow me to clarify, I already have everything I need to complete the ritual. Killing you would be pointless and maybe even a little sad."

"How so?"

The original hybrid wiped the slightest bits of the cocktail sauce from the corner of Dakota's lip with his thumb and licked it off, never once breaking eye contact. "Because you've got a spark in you that I haven't seen in over three hundred years."

Dakota sucked in a deep breath, the close proximity of their bodies allowing her to better smell the heavenly musk on his form. "Who are you using in the ritual?"

Klaus bopped her nose, giving Dakota  a smug smile. "That's none of your business silly." The hybrid walked away from her, the confidence in each stride visible from a single glance.

"We're going to stop you Niklaus."

He turned to face her, smile still present. "No you won't. You don't even care about the girl, if it meant saving yourself, you'd let her die. So you won't be participating in anything that has anything to do with her."

"You're right, I don't like her. But I don't like you more, so that makes her annoyingly important and under my protection."

"That'll change soon."

"Probably."