58

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 58: The Game Plan

{D. K}

Dakota's heeled boots clacked loudly against the cement, her chocolate brown hair blowing across her fair neck as the night breeze blew. Being the predator, the dark didn't bother her. In fact she reveled in the night, enjoying the mysterious wonders that come about from the dark and what resided in it.

        She was plenty aware of the steady heartbeat that was present a few feet behind her, and with each blow of the wind his scent came pouring through her senses.  The corner of her mouth ticked up at this, her fingers twiddling in anticipation. But Dakota King was sorely mistaken, this wasn't a human and she found that out a second too late.

         Instead of one heartbeat, now there were four and each one held the spicy scent of a hybrid that was hidden from her until now. Hands came out of the darkness and pulled her all in one direction, hiding her body from prying eyes that could've been looking in the dark night. One hand found itself over her mouth, blocking any potential of her yelling out. "What the hell," She voiced, when the hand moved away from her lips. "—let go of me."

         "They can't," Tyler Lockwood walked towards Dakota with his head held high. It took Dakota a minute, a very long minute to realize hat every hybrid was a familiar face, but each one didn't have that glossy look in their eyes.

She laughed a breathless laugh, rolling her eyes and dropping her head back in realization. "You guys broke the sire bond. Cleaver." Louder laughed passed as she could almost feel the powerful aura radiate off of Tyler. "And even better, you all follow Tyler now. Fun."

"Dakota, I don't have any beef with you, but we all have something against Klaus and the only leverage that we have is you."

The hybrids that were holding her, tightened their grips on the vampire that could very easily have gotten out of, but the reaction that they received took them by surprise. "Okay. Do what you have to do."

"What?"

Dakota shrugged and everyone then could see the blank stare that resided in her eyes. She was hurt. "Not sure if you noticed, but Klaus and I aren't together."

         "It doesn't matter, Klaus is in love with you, and there's something you can do to help us get back at him."

         "What's that?"

         "Do you know where Kol is?"

         "I'm sick of taking his crap," One of the hybrids—Dakota named him Linguini because of his haircut— said as he stomped into the Lockwood cellar. "—I should rip his throat out, see if he can still boss us around without a larynx."

         Dakota almost verbalized that he had no chance, he was a baby, there wasn't a chance in hell that he would be strong enough to kill an Original by himself with just anger as a fuel. "You won't have to deal with it much longer, Dakota called Kol, he should be on his way."

          "Don't get your hopes up," The vampire bluntly tells them, ignoring the angry looks she received from Linguini and Chatty Cathy. "—Kol doesn't even know that were sabotaging his brother. He's coming to me as a friend."

          "No," Tyler disagrees immediately. "—I picked Kol because the moment you asked him to come here. He'll do so as a man looking to take back the woman he loves."

          Dakota sat back, no longer having to deal with hybrids uselessly restricting her body. Dust was clinging onto her clothes and there was a rock digging into her back, but she was so focused on what Tyler was saying that the dull ache wasn't even bothering her. "Kol and I haven't been in love in a long time." 

         "No," He says once more, the next words leaving his mouth leaving Dakota to think. "—you haven't been in love with Kol in a long time."

         "How can you be sure this will work?" Chatty Cathy speaks up, her words were directed towards Tyler, their new alpha. "Even Dakota has doubt about our revolutionary plan."

          Tyler's hands were tucked into his jean pockets and his brown eyes rolled at her words. "Well, Dakota's a pessimist, she doubts everyone. But me, I know this will work."

          "How?"

          Footsteps paused the conversation until the person was identified as Hayley, the werewolf that helped Tyler break his sire bond when he disappeared. "Because I found the witch that's going to save our lives."

         Dakota dropped her head back on the rock wall. "Of course she's apart of this little plan too."

         The hybrids heard what Dakota said, taking note of the distaste she had towards the purebred werewolf, but they were too excited at the thought of being free from Klaus to even care about it. "Are you serious?"

         Hayley sent them a wide smile and a nod of confirmation. "We promised you guys we'd free you from Klaus. You did your part by breaking the sire bond. Now, Hayley and I are going to do ours, with Dakota's help."

         "About that," Dakota shifted of the ground, brushing the dust off her clothes. "—what am I doing?"

         Tyler looked hesitant to reply, but did anyway. "Since Hayley found a witch, were going to have her do the body-jump spell. Once we do that were going to encase the body in concrete and bury it. We need you to flirt with Kol out in the open, lead him to a spot in the woods so we can start the spell."

         "Okay, plan. Who's going to be Klaus' body donor because it sure as hell isn't going to be me." A silence spread across the room as each person looked at each other, all except Tyler who was shifting his weight from foot-to-foot and not keeping eye contact with the vampire. "You're doing it?"

         "It's not forever, just long enough for the rest of the hybrids to leave."

         Dakota took a minute to think over the plan, making sure that any flaw in it didn't involve her. "Better you than me."