27

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 27: J.B

{D. K}

       "Hello," Bonnie calls out after she hears the floorboards creek from under my weight. "Is someone there?"

       "Yes," Dakota answer, walking around the dirty basement.

       Bonnie's eyes widened at the sight of the vampire, with blood coating her right hand. "W-why are you here?"

        Dakota looked around, putting her finger in a candle and watching the wax dry around her finger before she scraped it off. "Oh, you know, for fun. I like invading dead witch sites, it's my favorite pastime."

         "I thought that was watching the dead push up daisies," Damon walked down the stairs, Stefan not too far behind.

         "That's only on Wednesday's, silly."

         "Why are you here Dakota? There's nothing here for you." Stefan glanced down at the coffins that only himself, Damon, and Bonnie could see.

         She scoffed. "Nothing here for me." Dakota repeated. "Alright, I'll just pretend I don't see the giant coffins in this room."

         Stefan did a double take. "You can see them? How? I didn't give you permission to see them."

         "Pretty sure eyesight doesn't work like that Stef. You should be thanking me, Klaus sent a hybrid to follow Bonnie." Dakota showed off her bloody hand. "I solved the problem."

         "You killed a hybrid?"

         "He wasn't going to leave Bonnie alive when he stole back the coffins, and as much as I'd love to I'm not allowed to let her die."

         Damon's eyebrows furrowed as he tried to comprehend the situation. "Why are you here though, and don't say you were just in the neighborhood."

         Dakota pointed to her ears. "I'm tuned into the witch radio. Your grams told me you were in trouble, so I came."

         "Why do you care about Bonnie?"

         "Oh, I don't," Dakota bluntly admits, using Damon's shirt as a wipe to clean the blood off of her hand. "I have a bargain and trade with the dead witches that died in this house. I protect Bonnie, I get some benefits in everyday life."

         "Like what?" Stefan prods.

         "Like seeing these coffins. They see Damon and Klaus as a threat so they aren't allowed to see them without Stefan's "permission". But since I'm basically a family friend, I can see them without needing to have some wish granted."

          Stefan sped over to her using his vampiric speed. "You can't tell him." He threatened, an emergency stake that he kept in his leather jacket pressed to her abdomen.

          Dakota simply looked down at the weapon, a small smile popping up on her face. "You wanna stake me? Oh Stef, I'm much older than you, that means I'm much stronger."

          Giving little time to react, Dakota grabbed Stefan by the neck, slamming his body onto one of the coffins. Snatching the stake from his hand, she let it hover over his heart. The veins beneath her eyes tingled before her fangs protruded. "What do you want with me?"

          "Give me a coffin. Just one, so Klaus doesn't kill me when he finds out I'm helping you."

          Their eyes widened. "What?"

          "I have to protect Bonnie, it's a blood oath I took when I turned. I know for a fact that if I don't get at least one coffin, Klaus will go for her first, then Caroline, then Alaric. He's playing Elena like a puppet and she doesn't even know it." Dakota let Stefan go, dropping the stake to the ground. "The three of you can't tell anyone that I said that of I'll kill you myself and I'm not gentle."

          The three nodded their heads, Bonnie being more hesitant. "I have school. I need to go, it's Caroline's birthday."

          "I'm serious Bonnie, you tell anyone and I'll no choice but to retaliate."

          She nodded again and scampered out of the dusty home. "So," Dakota clapped her hands, her eyes tentatively looking over all of the coffins. "Which one should I take first?"

          "Why are you so jumpy?" Damon asked, not missing her jittery movements.

          Dakota shrugged. "I drank from Justin Bieber last night and I can't help but be happy for my accomplishment. It's been on my bucket list for years."

          Damon pursed his lips, accepting her answer. "Fair enou—"

          "Just take a coffin and go." Stefan interrupts, growing angrier and angrier that she soiled his plans slightly.

          Playing a silent game of eenie, meanie, miney, moe with her eyes Dakota picked one and ran her finger over it. "This one. Help me take it upstairs."

          They complied before she made any other decisions that would ruin their plans. "Don't tell him about this Dakota." He demanded, leaning over on her car a bit.

          "Don't tell me what to do Stefan."

        "Who's the best girlfriend in the world? Oh yeah, me." Dakota sang as she had three hybrids bring the coffin into the house that was coming along quite quickly.

        "How did you—" Klaus started only to be cut off.

        "Please don't ask, just know that I might be able to get another one, it'll just take some time."

        "What did you do?"

        "I may or may not have pretended to be on their side so they would agree to give me a coffin."

Klaus stayed still, his arms crossed over his chest while he stared blankly at the coffin in front of him. "I have to say I'm impressed. Though for my sanity, I need to you assure me that what you just said was pretend and that you truly aren't on their side."

Dakota strides forward, picking some lint from him shirt before staring Klaus straight in the eye, an act of seriousness and honesty. "It was just pretend. I give you my word."

"I believe you, until you give me a reason to state otherwise, I believe you."