23

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 23: My Freedom Awaits

{K. M}

       "Can you tell me about them? Your family, I mean."

       Klaus remained quiet, and Dakota assumed hat was his way of saying no, until he began talking. "My parents moved here when they lost their first child because of a plague that infested their homeland. My mother heard from her friend Ayana that there was mystical land where everyone was healthy. They became neighbors with people who were blessed with gifts of speed and strength."

       "Werewolves?"

       "Yes, we lived amongst them in peace for over twenty years, and in that time they made more  children, myself and Rebekah included. Once a month, my family retreated underground in caves. Above the wolves would howl at the moon, and when the sun rose we'd return home." Klaus paused for a moment, his grip on the steering wheel tightening significantly. "One full moon, I took my youngest brother Henrik to watch the wolves turn. It was forbidden; but I was stubborn. He wasn't supposed to get hurt. We got a bit too close and before I could do anything they killed him. I carried his bloodied body back to my village screaming for my mother and she ran out to see him in my arms. When I told her that it was the wolves, she looked at me with such disappointment. I apologized so many times, but nothing could change what happened. He was gone."

        Dakota put a hand over her mouth in shock at when he said. "That was the last moment my family had as humans. My mother was the original witch, so she turned my family into vampires to prevent anymore deaths."

        "Vampirism was meant to be protection?"

        "Of course, what did you expect love?"

        "A punishment."

        Klaus pondered her answer, because in a way, it was. "The reason why my father is so determined to kill me is not only because I was responsible for Henrik's death, but because when I made my first kill, I wasn't just a vampire. I was a vampire and a werewolf. It was that night we found out I wasn't his child."

       "How did she turn all of you and still stay alive? That's a lot of magic to use and it isn't exactly lightweight."

       "My mother herself did not turn, she did it for her family. She called upon the sun for life and the ancient white oak tree, one of natures eternal objects for immortality. My father played his part by offering us wine laced with blood, and then he drove his blade through all of our hearts."

       "He killed his own family?"

       "He wasn't delicate about it either." Klaus admits. "We had to drink more blood to complete the ritual and it was euphoric."

Dakota knew what he was talking about, that's why she didn't judge. Her first taste of human blood was so divine that she blacked out, but when she came back to her senses she was sitting in a circle of dead bodies. "The witches, they punished you though, didn't they? They're very strict when it comes to keeping the balance and their punishments are their favorite part of it all."