24

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 24: Hybrid Hoedown

{D. K}

       Dakota stood in front of the mirror, analyzing the dress she bought a couple hours prior, when Klaus had asked her last minute to be his date for the party he was throwing at the Lockwood Mansion. "You look ravishing." Klaus compliments, his hand reaching up to snake around her waist while he leant down to kiss her shoulder.

       "What are we doing Klaus?" Dakota spontaneously asks. "The kissing, and touching. What are we?"

       Klaus pulled away, thinking giver what she'd just asked. "I want you. In my eyes your already mine. I just want to hear you say it."

       "I don't want this relationship to be based off of a bet we made all those months ago," She warned.

       He stepped forward, turning her to face him. "I stopped going by that silly little child's game the second I realized my feelings for you." Klaus pushed a strand her hair from her cheek and tucked it with the others behind her ear. "Now say it, please."

       "I love you."

       A smile took form on Klaus' face, and he pulled her in for a kiss. "I'm going to show you a love like you've never felt before."

       For a split second, Dakota's mind flickered back to Kol, but the memory of him quickly diminished and she focused on the man before her. "I look forward to it." Dakota looked past Klaus, reading the clock time behind him. "But I look forward to this party, slightly more."

       "Why's that?"

       "Blood tastes better when it's warmed up." With a wink, she walked out of the guest room she had taken control of in the Lockwood mansion and entered the never ending sea of bodies.

      "Good evening, everyone!" Klaus announced in the microphone, the band behind him stopping the music so they could hear what the host had to say. "I want to thank you all for being here with me to celebrate. It's been a long time coming."

      Dakota walked off to explore the assortment of drinks, that wasn't the best but it wasn't terrible. "Decided to come back, huh?"

      "Didn't really have much of a choice. Klaus calls the shots, I just tag along for the rides."

      "Seems boring. Like this alcohol, lets go upstairs and break into the Lockwood's secret stash."

      Dakota agreed and followed Damon upstairs. He poured both of them a drink, filling his glass a bit more than usual. "When were you going to tell me that you and Klaus were dating?"

      She sipped her glass of bourbon, looking up at Damon. "When I felt like telling you."

      His eyes lit ablaze at her answer. "I'm your best friend, actually, I'm your only friend. I spent the entire summer looking for you. When Stefan and Elena told me to stop looking for you because you were a lost cause I said "fuck you" and kept going, and you weren't going to tell me you were dating that hybrid dick?"

     "I never told you to look for me Damon." Dakota pointed out. "In fact, I remember on multiple occasions me telling you to leave and stop trying to save me."

     "I wasn't going to just leave you with him."

     "I wanted to stay with him."

     Silence cast over the two, and Damon blinked his eyes furiously to ward away the tears that he didn't want her to see. He could feel her pulling away from him, severing the ties the had knotted so tightly with one another in the short time of their friendship. What they had, platonic or not, was exhilarating and they had never felt so free with any other person. Maybe because they were both so carefree and enjoyed the kill. They were vampires and they relished in it. "Fine. Be with him, but when he hurts you don't come running back to me."

      "I won't." Before Dakota could leave like she planned, the large mahogany doors shut. "What the hell is this?"

      "So you're the lovely Dakota everyone speaks of." The man was unfamiliar but something about those eyes reminded her of Rebekah.

      A tight smile forced its way on her face, and she sat her glass down in a nearby table, pressing down a little too hard so the glass broke on the table. "So you're Mikael. Klaus told me about you."

      "Did he now? He must really like you, because he hates speaking about me."

      "I mean, I can see why."

      "That's a bit rude don't you think?"

      "Maybe, but I don't really care." Dakota clapped her hands together, wanting nothing more than to get out of the room that suddenly felt a bit too crowded even though there was only three people in it. "I've got to go. I'd say it's nice to meet you, but I have a feeling it won't be."

      Mikael shrugged, speeding over to her and sinking his fangs into her neck, drinking her blood until she fell to the ground. "Couldn't you have done that to another vampire?"

      He took a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped the blood off of his mouth. "I didn't see you offering me a drink."