48

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 48: Gilbert Guilt

{D. K}

       Dakota was the first person to wake up, the second to realize that Connor was missing, and the third person to find out that Klaus was half-way across the world.

She had started off by walking down the halls in search of Klaus, when her nose caught scent of blood. It was a spicy stench, like pepper, a smell she familiarized as hybrid. Dakota walked into the room the hunter was left in, only to see blood on the floor with the body of a dead hybrid on the ground.

Now alert, she dialed Klaus after realized he wasn't in the house. "Where the hell are you, and please tell me that you were the one who beheaded a hybrid and let Connor go."

"I'm not, but I am getting the sword." He answered calmly.

"Klaus," Dakota gritted out from between her teeth. "—where are you? Because when you leave me in a house alone with a hunter —who was born to kill, literally— I think the vampire sleeping and vulnerable deserves to know."

There was a pause on the other line, and the only sounds Dakota could decipher was metal against solid rock. "I left a note."

"You left a note," The vampire repeats, laughing humorlessly. "Does this note tell me where you are geographically, so I don't have to wonder why you left me alone in the middle of the night."

"Well, it doesn't exactly have Italy written on it, but it's insinuated."

Dakota stood still with shock, trying to understand what was happening. "You're in Italy, while your girlfriend is left alone with a hunter?"

"Hybrids are home." Klaus informed, trying to lessen the blow that he was bound to receive when he returned.

She subconsciously glanced back at the hybrid, who's head was absent from the rest of his body. "How many? Because if you didn't kill this one, Connor made sure that there was once less. He must be crazy though, because he took the head with him."

"For the werewolf venom, I presume." Klaus sighed. "Okay, I admit I didn't exactly think he would get out, but clearly I was wrong, and now he's armed and dangerous."

"Not to mention the cure for a werewolf bite is thousands of miles away."

Klaus must've moved away from the workers digging up the sword, because it was quiet in the background and all Dakota heard was the steady sound of his breathing. "I've already made plans for you to stay with the Salvatore brothers until I return. Since I'm not there to keep you safe myself, I've decided that if you had two people there for comfort, you'll be at ease."

"I can take care of myself, but since when do you trust the Salvatore's?"

"I don't trust anyone, which is why my sister is laying in a box."

"Ouch."

Klaus' smirk could be heard through the phone. "Don't get bent out of shape, sweetheart. You're not anyone, you're mine. So, I've made an exception."

"Don't sweet talk me Klaus, you ditched me for Italy."

Dakota didn't even bother knocking before she barged into the boarding house, going upstairs to see tall, dark, and handsome waiting in leather. "Good, you're here. Let's go find Stefan."

"What?" Dakota whined, dropping her suitcase by his bookshelf. "Damon, I'm sure he's fine."

Damon sauntered towards the door, his mind not budging. "There's a hunter on the loose, and I don't plan on loosing my little brother to him. I'm the one who promised him an eternity of misery and I'll be damned if someone steals that time from me."

"Just say you're worried."

"He's my brother, Kota. Of course I'm worried about him."

Damon and Dakota got into his blue car, driving a little faster than normal to get to the destination that remained a mystery to Dakota until he pulled up to a familiar two story house. "Why are you outside of dopplebitch's house?"

"Because—" Using his phone, the vampire dialed Stefan's number, only to receive the voicemail. "—if my little bro isn't at home, then odds are he's with Elena making sure she's not eating the citizens of Mystic Falls."

They got out, shutting the doors and walking up the walkway. "She will eventually, you know. Might as well get it over with."

Damon turned to face her. "I know that, but he just wants to prevent her from the guilt and pain that comes along with being Elena Gilbert."

"She's a vampire now," She bluntly points out. "No matter how hard Stefan tries, Elena will kill someone. In fact, I know that since she's such a innocent little angel with good morals, she's going to be so bad that she'll put Katherine Pierce to shame."

Damon turned the door handle, watching it open with ease and rolled his eyes. "She won't be able to do that if she's dead." Both jogged up the steps and turned into Elena's room.

"She would've already been dead if you hadn't fed her blood hours before I killed her."

"I can hear you," Elena spoke, a harsh glare directed to Dakota who smiled and waved at the new vampire.

"Good," Dakota cheered. "—nice to know that when people speak, you'll finally listen."

Damon stepped in front of Dakota when Elena used her new speed to run over to the older vampire. "Slow down, Speedy. As much as it'd be awesome so see that little girl fight, I need to know if you've talked to Stefan today."

"No, I haven't talked to him yet."

"Okay, then maybe he's dodging my calls. Give me your phone."

Elena pulled out her white Nokia, handing it to the blue eyed man. "Why would he be dodging you?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe the hot, sweaty dance party has nothing to do with this." Elena looked at him with wide doe eyes. "I figured you'd spill your guilty little guts last night."

Dakota gasped exaggeratedly, gaining attention. "Elena Gilbert has fun? I wasn't aware that you knew what that was."

"She fed from the vein."

"You've opened Pandora's box, good luck finding anything to top the taste of fresh blood."

"Both of you stop!" She demanded, running her thin fingers through her hair. "Stefan doesn't know, he can't. It'll hurt him so much."

"What?" Dakota began, glancing at a picture of Elena and her mom. "It'll hurt him that you got your first blood rush, or that you dirty danced with Damon and you liked it?"

Elena turned her attention to Damon who raised his hands in surrender. "What? Vampires gossip too."

"Stefan's going through a lot, especially with trying to get me through this vampire stuff."

Damon's fingers tapped away at Elena's phone, finding Stefan's name and letting the phone ring on speaker. "Newbie vampire remorse," He said while the phone rang. "—those were worse than a hangover."

Dakota agreed with the shake of her head, but all the joking stopped when the call went to voicemail. "So, either he's dodging both of you guys—"

"—or somethings wrong."