11

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 11: The Ultimate Betrayal

{D. K}

    Dakota didn't stay to see the reuniting of Elena and Jeremy. Instead, she retreated to her home and stared blankly at her elegantly painted ceiling. She'd been beating herself up about Jenna's death, then drinking her anger away for failing Damon. Even though Elena was still alive, Dakota had taken an oath to protect the troublesome human and she'd let her die.

     The woman stayed in her home for two days without contacting anyone. "You okay?" Damon walked in uninvited, a black suit complementing his skin tone.

        "I should be asking you that question, seeing as though you're the one sporting that nasty werewolf bite."

     Damon's blue eyes widened ever so slightly, his tongue running over his pearly whites as he subconsciously ran a hand over the growing infection adorning his forearm. "How'd you know?"

    Lazily turning her neck to face him she gestured for him to lay on her bed beside her. "I can smell it.  You're body rotting from the inside out."

    With a sigh, Damon sat down on Dakota's maroon colored duvet that was silky to the touch. "What are we going to do about Klaus and Elijah?"

      "We're going to ignore that they exist for as long as we can."

   The two laid on the bed watching the TV before them, until the sun outside dimmed until it was pitch black outside. Damon made a move to leave the bed, but Dakota grabbed his unharmed arm and pulled him back down. "Don't go."

      "I won't." From his spot on the bed, he pulled off his shirt and trousers, leaving him shirtless and in his boxers. 

   As the two friends laid down together, they didn't need words to express how important they'd become to one another in such short time. "Night, D."

   Placing a friendly kiss to her forehead he smiled slightly. "Goodnight Kota."

   The following morning, Dakota woke up alone but she didn't mind, she wanted time to herself. She shut her off phone, growing annoyed of the buzzing and Elijah's number flashing on her screen. "What Elijah?" Dakota answered the phone with such hostility in her voice that there was a moment of silence.

"Dakota—"

"Make it quick, I don't like talking to traitors."

There was a quick cough on the receiving end of the phone call. "I called so I could send my greatest apologies for lying to you the other night, I do hope you understand why I did what I did."

Dakota laughed a cruel, soulless laugh. "Understand what you did? Oh Elijah, I understand perfectly what you did. You lied to me, you had potential Elijah, I started to like you, not romantically but as a bit of fun. You've ruined that by betraying me, there will be consequences."

"Are you challenging me? An Original vampire?"

"Damn straight I am. You've just earned yourself an enemy."

"Dakota, he's my family."

She bit her lip, breaking skin, a single drop of blood poking out before he skin healed as if it'd never been broken. "Yeah, don't forget he put a dagger in you Elijah, he kept you in a box for decades. So when he turns his back on you yet again, don't expect me to find you and bring your gullible ass back to life."

The Mikaelson was left with the monotonous beeping of the dial tone proving that she'd ended the call. "She's quite feisty," Klaus giggled, throwing a fresh shirt on his dirty body. After a few nights in his wolf form, he'd killed multiple people and left quite a mess around himself.

Elijah looked down at his phone before placing it back in his breast-pocket. "She's not very fond of me at the moment."

"Oh, I can tell brother. Seems like you have yourself in quite the predicament."

Helping his brother into a warm coat, Elijah pursed his thin lips. "You made a promise to reunite me with my family Niklaus, that is the only thing helping me deal with knowing that she will never speak to me again."

"Never, is a very long time brother."

"I'm well aware," He observed the crisp air that was laced with the subtle scent of blood and ash. The leaves around them crunched beneath their feet,being abused by the heaviness of their weight. "That's why I'd much rather be with my family for it."

"Oh, you will brother, you will."

It took everything in Dakota not the throw the phone into her wall. To channel her anger, she roughly opened a bottle of whiskey. She raised the glass to her lips, savoring the flavor. "Go away." Dakota shouted at the door that was being knocked on multiple times. "Look Elijah, I said we—" The sentence died as she opened her mahogany door. "—oh, it's dopplebitch and Jeremy."

Elena sighed growing used to the verbal abuse from the female vampire. The wandering eyes of the seventeen year old took notice of the bags that were forming under Dakota's eyes. "Yeah, we just came to see if you wanted to come with us to a movie? They're showing Scarlett at Mystic Park."

"Honey, I was there when they made that movie." Waving the two inside, she walked into the kitchen to set her glass in the sink. "But I suppose, what could go wrong?"

"A lot of things, actually." Jeremy pipped up, blushing slightly when Dakota caught him staring greedily at her exposed legs."

Smiling at his pessimistic attitude she nodded. "I guess you're right, especially with danger magnet over there." Dakota sauntered off into her room to get changed, her hips swaying seductively out of habit.

"Jeremy, stop." Elena scolded upon watching her brother stare at the vampires ass as she walked away. "She's unpredictable and very dangerous."

"I don't know Elena, she seemed pretty cool just then."

"Let's see how cool she looks with her fangs in your neck while you're compelled to shut up." Elena was shocked at herself for saying such a morbid thing to her younger brother, but he just wasn't understanding the severity of the situation.

"Ouch Elena, that's harsh. I actually like Man-On-A-Mission over there. He's just got this cute little face that I could never hurt."

Growing uncomfortable with Dakota talking to her brother, Elena moved to the door dragging Jeremy with her. "Let's just go before Caroline gets worried."