10

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 10: Dopplebitch's Death

{D. K}

Dakota stomped onto the grass of Stephan's Quarry just as Klaus walked over to Jenna, a woolen stake in his hand. "Let her go." Elena pleads, walking too close to the fire so the witch raised the flames as a caution.

"Careful," Klaus tsked in mock concern.

"Klaus," Dakota announced, gaining his attention.

His blue eyes widened at the sight of her, but more out of surprise than worry. "Dakota, love. What are you doing here?"

"To ask for a trade. Me, for Jenna."

Anger overtook his face. "Come with me." Both vampires sped to the top of the hill to have their conversation in private. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Jenna has children to look after, if Elena dies, whatever, they'll mourn and go on with their lives. But Jeremy, he needs someone."

The hybrid stared at the woman before answering her. "No." He raised a hand to brush her cheek only for her to smack it away.

Dakota held back a snappy remark. "Please Klaus."

Instead of answering, he guided Dakota back to where the ritual was taking place. "Quite the predicament. You know, it's funny all of this talk about preserving family. Here's Dakota."

Elena peered in confusion at the vampire that never bothered hiding her dislike for her. "Dakota, what are you doing?"

The almost immortal woman resisted an eye roll. "I promised Damon I'd keep you safe. Unfortunately, when I made that deal I didn't realize how annoying you'd be."

"Well," Klaus quipped, waving the stake between Dakota and Jenna tauntingly. "—who's it going to be?"

"No." Elena cried, not wanting either to die. If Dakota would go this far to prove her loyalty then she deserved to live.

"Don't worry, there's actually no choice." Klaus sped behind Dakota, stabbing the stake into her back and breaking it in her flesh to prevent her from healing. "I want you alive." Her single grunt of pain caught Klaus' attention as she struggled to stand up. "But for now." In one fluid motion, he snapped her neck, sending her petite body to the grass. "Whenever you're ready, Greta."

Klaus' witch grinned, the Latin dripping from her lips like a dark poison. The ring of fire around Jenna reacted to the magic, dissipating and giving Klaus a ticket to his sacrifice. "Your turn."

"Jenna no." Elena sobbed.

"It's alright Elena. I know what I have to do." Jenna took all by surprise as she used her new gift of speed to get to Greta and sings her fangs into her neck.

The witches shrill scream sounded, and no sooner was Klaus behind Elena's aunt throwing her to the ground and shoving a stake deep within her chest. Deep purple veins surfaced as her tanned skin faded into a sickly white.

Minutes passed and Dakota finally awoke from her temporary death. Her hand subconsciously reaching for the stake that still resided in her back. Taking one glance at the teenager before her sigh tears streaming down her face, Dakota realized that she'd failed.

Greta's voice filled her hypersensitive ears as she spoke the spell fluently, pouring the blood onto the stone alter. "I'm sorry." Dakota was silenced by Elena lifting a finger to her lips.

"Are they going to kill him?" She mouthed, salty tears streaming down her tan cheeks.

"Yes."

Klaus sauntered over to Elena, fire ring around her dying away. He offered a hand to help her off the floor, to which was rudely denied. His jaw clenched at the gesture of disrespect briefly reminding Dakota of Elijah. "Thank you Elena." Klaus quickly forgave, his blue eyes turning their vampiric shade.

"Go to hell."

His fangs protruded and he sank them into her neck, swallowing gulp after gulp of her blood, the curse breaking with each drop. Elena's eyes soon fluttered shut until her heart stopped beating all together, Klaus allowing her limp body to fall to the dirt. "I can feel it. It's happening." His bones began breaking, much like the other werewolves that Dakota had encountered in her nine hundred years.

A bolt of lightening struck at Klaus, sending his body flying into mother direction. Bonnie came down the pathway, Latin words being spoken like a language she'd known her whole life.

Dakota watched Damon snap Greta's neck. "Damon." She grunted, catching her somewhat friends attention.

Speeding over to her, Damon immediately pulled the broken stake from her back. "He stabbed you in the back? That's low."

In no mood for jokes, Dakota pointed to Elena's limp body that wouldn't be that way for much longer if the elixir worked. "Take Elena, and her get out of here."

"What about you?"

"Don't worry about me D," Dakota patted the back of the older Salvatore's hand. "Go."

The louder Bonnie chanted, the louder Klaus screamed in pain. Finally, she stopped allowing Elijah to come forward. "'lijah." Klaus gasped.

"Hello brother." Elijah lifted his suit sleeved, using his hand to hold Klaus' heart tightly within his chest. "In the name of our family Niklaus."

"I didn't bury them at sea."

"What?" Dakota watched Klaus pull Elijah like a puppet on a string, even in the final seconds of true death he had something over the man.

"Elijah, don't."

Klaus continued, trying to save himself. "Their bodies are safe. If you kill me, you'll never find them."

"'lijah please."

"I can take you to them. I give you my word brother."

     "Do it and I'll take you both out," Bonnie threatened, stepping closer to the Mikaelson brothers.

     "You'll die."

     "I don't care."

     Elijah and Dakota looked each other in the eyes. "I'm so sorry." He took his brother and ran away before anyone had time to react.