36

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 36: It Gets Crazier

{D. K}

"Are you kidding me?" Dakota scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "You've been alive all this time and you fail to tell me that you were alive and your opening line is 'what's up?'"

"Yes."

"What the hell, Shawn. I thought you were dead. I was fine with you being dead, I accepted that you had died.

        "I didn't just die, Dakota. I was murdered. You murdered me."

        Dakota stepped back a bit, taken back by his calm tone but there was a storm in his eyes, one that ran through the King family genes. "I-I'm sorry. I was young and a freshly turned vampire, I didn't mean to hurt you, Shawn. I just got too close, I tried to save you I swear I did."

         "I don't doubt that, it's just, I've built a life here."

         "Yeah, with a fake name."

"I needed to change my name, if I was going to start a new life as a—" Theo lowered his voice as a student walked past them in the hall holding a bathroom pass. "—teenage vampire."

"I understand that, but why couldn't you have looked for me Theo? You could've come to see me to tell me you were okay."

There was a pause before Theo finally spoke. "I wasn't okay, Ko. I was all alone, with new urges that I'd never felt before. Did you know that the first couple nights that I had turned I killed thirty people?"

         "That's impressive for a newbie, but you didn't beat my record of course."

         Shawn's face remained straight, not finding her comment humorous. "I don't want to be deemed impressive to you when I tell you about how many people I've killed. It's not fun, it's terrible that I have so much power over someone's life."

         "That's the thrilling part about it Shawn, they can do whatever your heart desires for them to do. It's amazing." Dakota boasted.

         "No it's not, it's disgusting."

         Dakota groaned, leaning her head back. "Don't tell me you're one of those vampires. Are you a humanist? Defending the weak and eating the poor."

         Disgust was clear in Shawn's face. "You're sick Dakota, what would mom think of you if she saw you right now?"

         "She wouldn't think a damn thing, Shawn so don't use that bullshit on me. Mom is dead, so don't you dare bring her memory back on me. I raised you and you didn't turn out so bad."