59: reliance

EARLY UPDATE! Long chapter & watch POV changes 👀

// V O T E & C O M M E N T (>‿♥)

Jess

I felt awful.

Only vividly had I remembered what happened that night.

James' lips. Calling Harry, drunk off my ass.

The days after, Harry didn't reach back out to me. I blamed it on the fact that he was busy with family stuff, or his new job. I didn't want to put it on the possibility that he was trying to distance himself from me. But did I blame him for doing so? No.

Now, a week later, the London and Manchester shows were over, and I was in Sheffield. This was the show Harry was supposed to come to.

I really wished Anne and Gemma came, too. I missed Anne so much.

For a little background on Anne's impact on my life: she was there the days after my parents died. I was a complete mess. Though I wouldn't let anyone come in my hotel room to see or talk to me, she'd always come by my door and tell me that she was there if I wanted to talk.

Eventually, I was ready to talk. And I could honestly say that I wouldn't be where I am emotionally and mentally today, if it weren't for her.

"Mornin' babe. I was just about to leave to grab coffee for everyone. Want something?" Meredith says after she answers her door.

"Yeah, sure. Can I come with actually?"

She nods and adjusts her jacket. "Of course."

I wait until she closes her door and then I fall into step with her towards the elevators.

"Jane wants us to head to the O2 as soon as we get back. I'm pretty sure you're going to have an album meeting again," Mere informs me.

"Okay."

In the elevator, I noticed that she'd sneak glances at me every so often. I knew what the reason behind it was.

But I was tired of people thinking that I was some lost puppy without Harry. Yes, I missed him, and yes, he was - is a huge part of my life, but I could walk on my own two feet, too.

"Harry's friends seemed really nice. I did that Liam's hair, too," she said lightly.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Yeah, they're great. And really funny."

"They loved the show, too. They were dancing and singing along. The new stylist was growing a little bit of a crush on almost all of them. God help that girl." Mere shakes her head a little bit.

"You don't like her?"

"She's a handful. She's unfocused at times and can go off in her own little world. Good thing she's good at what she does, or else she wouldn't be here."

I smile. "You can whip her into shape, though."

We walk out of the elevator and are hit with minimal paparazzi as we go and get Mere's rental car across the lot. I hold onto her arm and keep my head down because I hadn't put on a lot of makeup today. I didn't feel like getting hounded my media about my "tired" face.

I get in the car and Mere moves to the driver's seat. She starts the car and pulls out of the space. Apparently she's had some experience with driving on the other side of the road, unlike most of our crew. Mere was the only one allowed a rental car.

"Is Harry coming tonight?"

There it is.

"Maybe," I reply.