Chapter 7. The Ball

Lucy had been planning the ball for weeks and was already up, decorating the huge ballroom with Susan

Lucy had been planning the ball for weeks and was already up, decorating the huge ballroom with Susan. The two sisters smiled and laughed as they talked about the princes of Telmar who would come to the ball. It would be more logical for them to leave the decorating up to the maids, but Angelina loved that they involved themselves in simple duties like that. Their lives seemed less boring.

Angelina made her way down the huge stairs of the castle. Seeing everyone busy with decorating she slowly made her way to the kitchen looking into the various cupboards to find at least a piece of cheese with bread. Finding some white bread and a roll of Camembert cheese, she made herself a sandwich. The cooks wouldn't mind an insignificant amount of food disappearing, and she had to settle her cravings before her nerves got the best of her.

She skipped down the green grass of the outside of the castle and lied down on it. The clouds were filled with white and the sun seemed to shine brighter than ever. This day was one of the brightest that Angelina had ever seen since she came to Narnia. There was something about this place that made her feel wanted and needed as if she belonged there. She started to forget how much she missed her home when it had only been five weeks she spent in Narnia. In Narnia everything seemed better, even the food tasted better.

A shadow came over her covering the sun, and Angelina shifted to see who it was. Not surprised at all, she looked into the mysterious features of king Edmund. "Mind if I join you?" He lied down beside her, biting into an apple.

"You already have," she moved a little bit, letting him in on the view of the passing clouds.

Edmund moved a bit closer, looking up at the sky without a worry on his face or mind. "Beautiful day for a ball, too bad it is at night."

She felt comfortable around him like she could be herself and he would think her weird. "Yeah, I don't know if I wanna go through," Angelina smiled to herself.

"And why not?" Edmund turned to face her.

"I am not as good at dancing as I'd like to be, plus too many people I don't know in one room." She confessed and turned her head to him.

Edmund took another bite from his apple. "I think you were perfectly fine in the garden," he reminded her of the strange evening they had almost five weeks ago, only days after her arrival. "And about the people, if you ever need an escape just let me know, I know many castle secret doorways that I can share with you."

Angelina looked away sensing a newly present feeling haunting her mind. Edmund's proximity started to awake butterflies in her stomach, and when she looked into the deep brown eyes of her friend she felt scared of what she was feeling inside. More importantly of what he made her feel inside.

"Did I say something wrong?" Edmund asked after he noticed her sudden distress.

"No, not at all, it's just this place is so strange," she turned back to him and smiled, brushing off whatever thoughts she had before.