Chapter 12. Goodbyes

He walked with despair, knowing that every step he took in the castle was his last for a while

He walked with despair, knowing that every step he took in the castle was his last for a while. Looking into the mirror and staring at the reflection of a broken boy turned into a king, Edmund tried to hide any visible signs of regret. Not believing the day was going to turn out the way he planned, Edmund still had hope. He washed his face with the water that was ready for him, water dripping off his eyelashes. Peering into his closet, he picked out a shirt to wear and put it on, buttoning it up till the last two buttons. Edmund combed his hair to one side and looking into the mirror one last time, he sighed and walked out of his room. 

The day did not yet feel unusual, all the servants greeted him and bowed down as he walked. He was the king and everyone across Narnia knew it, but Edmund missed the simple life, the simple boy he was. Wishing he was back in London, not caring about a country, just being silly. He knew there was no taking it back, he had a duty; put his country first. 

Walking down the huge stairs of the castle, he caught a glance of Angelina who unlike the other royal guests actually took an interest in talking to the servants. Overhearing her loud voice gasp as the maid told her about keeping the castle warm during winter made him smirk. Just like him she was from a different time, but she seemed more fascinated by the daily struggles of life in an old fashioned castle.

Upon seeing him, she rolled her eyes. Bowing her head in front of the maid she made her way towards him. Edmund caught the maid shaking her head with a smile, realizing that Angelina was not used to treating servants with disregard.

"I have prepared the horses already, it's time for another horse riding lesson, this time I will ride my own." Her smile didn't fade, she sounded proud to try riding her own horse this time.

Edmund smirked at her enthusiasm, "that's splendid, but I am afraid today I have time for a short walk only," he sighed, hoping that she'd find some time for him anyway and not be too disappointed.

"That's alright, we can go riding tomorrow then," she started to walk away, but his hand grabbed hers and pulled her back. She met his eyes, and they were filled with some sort of emotion she did not understand yet, he was sad but not quite sad.

He smiled at the ground, "actually, I would like it if you came with me, there is something important I need to tell you."

Johanna who was walking across the hall noticed them and stared intensely as they both locked glances. She couldn't believe what was unfolding in front of her, her heart was angry and hardened. The man she was supposed to marry was holding another woman's hand. Caspian appeared by her side shortly, noticing the anger in her eyes he decided to question her. Although he could guess why she was angry, perhaps he could distract her? "Miss Johanna, what is wrong?" 

Hearing his voice, she turned around and turned her frown into a smile, "absolutely nothing prince Caspian, I was just thinking of my family that the white witch killed." She lied to him, but he already knew that.