Chapter 13. Dark Prophecies

He was handed his sword and shield, greeted with a cold handshake

He was handed his sword and shield, greeted with a cold handshake. Telling by the look in his brother's eyes, he regretted sending him to war. Edmund looked around the throne room, surrounded by only promoted soldiers to generals. They were all preparing to depart for the battlefield. His sisters were waiting for him at the castle gates, each giving him a kiss on the cheek and a word of good luck. Getting on his horse, he made a small bow to his brother. The troops were off into battle in a line formation. Edmund was at the beginning of the line, leading them with Peter's right-hand man. The clouds rolled over the sky as if the weather was affected by what was going on in his soul. It rained inside and outside, inside being the very corners of his consciousness.

Writing something on her desk, she was too distracted by the ink bottle to realize what time it was. Suddenly, her ears perked up as she heard the sounds of many horses marching out of the castle. Rushing to the balcony she looked out. The line was too long, but she knew he would be at the beginning of it. People around Cair Paravel gathered to wish their soldiers good luck. Most of these men were someone's sons, brothers, friends, and lovers. Not even having enough time to run down to the many people saying goodbye, she realized that it was the day that marked her sadness. It was not like her to quickly miss people she had met only months ago. Attachment was hard for her, which is why she was surprised that she got so attached to Edmund.

Curling up into a ball next to the ledges of the balcony, Angelina looked around her room. The sound of the horses was haunting, and she couldn't believe that war was so close at hand. She lived in a completely different century where danger was not a big reality. She searched the corners of her room for answers, something to distract herself from the events outside. Angelina noticed something on the floor next to her door; an envelope.

Jumping to the little letter, she picked it up and without even reading who it's from, ripped it open. With hesitation, she undid the letter and looked over the beautiful handwriting. She didn't have to guess who it was from, upon reading the first sentence she knew exactly who it was from. 

My dearest Angelina, 

I know I should have said goodbye, but figuring how we have already said goodbye only hours before, I decided not to make it even harder on you, or even myself. 

You are one of the only people here who understand me, my closest friend. It is strange to think that we are from completely different centuries. The second I saw you, I thought you couldn't be the promised savior of Narnia, but then I saw your determination, and I was sure that you were. As I write this, I cannot help but feel the strange overwhelming realization that we shall not see each other for a very long time. There is so much I wanted to say and should have said.

You are now out to find your destiny, and I mine. Only hoping and praying that fate brings us together once more. Now, I am forced to say goodbye, but let not this be the end of us. I leave you with this torn piece of the page from the book. Go over it, understand, find answers, and make it to me.