Chapter 38. Sister Knows Best

Whenever he couldn't solve the puzzles of his mind, Edmund came to his younger sister for comfort. He noticed how Narnia had changed their relationship, bringing them much closer to each other than they were. To him she was one of the wisest people, and good at advice when he needed it. Recently he had been distant from everyone, but something on his heart called out for Lucy.

She sat in the garden in her usual manner, looking at the blooming flowers and listening to Aslan's voice. Lucy knew that if she listened hard enough, she would hear the mighty Lion's roar. Feeling His presence was natural to her, but not the rest of the Pevensie siblings.

Edmund smiled at his sister who had her eyes closed, her face reaching up to the sun. He put his hand on her shoulder to let her know of his presence and she instantly opened her eyes, greeting him with her hand on his.

"What brings you to this part of he castle, brother?" Lucy stood up and started walking next to him, ready to listen to whatever was on his mind.

He looked down at the rocky ground, "I don't know. My own feelings are tricking me. I guess you are my anchor to the life I used to know, even though I've forgotten it."

"You've forgotten, but you can remember!" Lucy exclaimed with a cheerful smile. Positivity shined off her body.

"I don't think so Lucy, perhaps me forgetting is for the better. I've forgotten something I don't want to remember." Edmund didn't know why he said such a thing, as if something in his mind forced him to think that like a curse. The same curse made his mind jump to Johanna again, and he flinched.

"What's wrong?" Lucy put her hand on her brother's shoulder.

Edmund shook his head, "nothing, I just thought of Johanna. I am so tired of that, she comes to mind every time-I want to remember."

Being the smart little sister, Lucy quickly thought of why Johanna ties into all this. She never really liked the young woman, nor did she ever have a normal conversation with her. Johanna was one of those people Lucy wanted to keep away from.

"What about Angelina?" Lucy asked.

Edmund turned his head towards his sister, "what about her?"

"You don't remember her yet?" Her enthusiastic smile was replaced by a frown.

"I'm not sure what I am even supposed to remember about her! Besides, she is going to marry Nicolas." Edmund rolled his eyes and turned away from his sister. She quickly read his inner frustration that he didn't want to show to anyone.

Lucy smiled, "so her marrying Nicolas is bothering you is it not?"

"You know me better than anyone Lucy. And don't ask me why it bothers me because I don't know!" He didn't dare turn his eyes towards his sister, she might read right through them.

"I think you should be in her presence, she needs a friend at this time as much as you do. I think that you two talking would be the best thing for now." Lucy knelt down and sat on the grass of the garden.

Edmund followed his sisters move, "why would I do that though, why would I talk to her?"

"Because no matter how hard you deny it Edmund, you desperately want to." She shocked him with her words which he realized a few seconds later to be true.

"What will I even say?" He shook his head, coming up with another excuse to not face her.

His denial entertained her, "say what is on your heart." She applied her hand to his chest and smiled kindly. Somehow, Lucy knew exactly what to say to him and when to say it. As wise as her idea was, Edmund doubted that it would change much, if anything at all.