Chapter 33. I Hear Them Calling For You

Johanna could not stay up straight on a horse, no matter how she sat, she managed to fall off or slouch. To her it didn't really matter, in fact she tried to be horrible at it on purpose because it was Edmund who was teaching her how to ride. He'd be forced to spend more time with her that way. He was not happy with her behavior, it was like she didn't actually want to learn and he hated people who wasted his precious time.

He was ready to give up, ready to go in and ask to take a break until she finally held the saddle right and put her feet to the side properly. Finally letting a smile cover his face for her success, Edmund commanded her to ride the horse slowly at first, then faster. However, as soon as the horse started moving, Johanna fell right back into his arms like always.

"Perhaps you shouldn't learn how to ride a horse, it's not for everyone." Edmund furrowed his eyebrows as he was trying to put her back on her feet, her hands around his neck.

Johanna frowned, "no your majesty, I want to learn, give me another chance. I might surprise you."

"Unless you magically learn how to ride a horse right now, I won't be surprised." Edmund made his snarky comment and didn't mind that it would offend her.

She looked hurt and turned away from him, "you think I'm doing this on purpose, you think I am not fit to ride a horse! I will have you know, I am a princess."

Then he realized that offending her would probably not be the smartest move and would only create more complications for him. She was partially royalty, although she was not the queen of old or a prophesied queen, she was one nonetheless. Caspian was not prophesied, he is still king.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." Edmund didn't really know how to get her attention back, not really wanting to either.

After the white witch took over the castle of Thorndel, the king and queen were killed, leaving only Corrine and Johanna alive. Corrine was not Johanna's sister, they were merely cousins, they grew up as sisters. Corrine tried to look out for Johanna since she was the youngest one and didn't understand much on how to act in society. If one would think Johanna annoying and wouldn't want to be around her, they would prefer Corrine who was the less obsessed and wiser version of her.

"No one thinks I'm worth anything, no one loves me or thinks I can do things, I am not beautiful!" Johanna broke out into small tears and Edmund sighed.

Peter would kill him for hurting the royal guests, "I didn't mean that you can't do anything. It's just horses are not for everyone. You are beautiful Johanna." He instantly regretted his last sentence as he saw Johanna turn around to him with big eyes.

"Do you really mean that your majesty?" She put her hands back around his neck.

Sometimes Edmund stepped into his own traps he built for himself, he knew that he would be better off without complimenting her, however he still did it. As if by some divine miracle of Aslan's own work, Angelina emerged from the stables with a horse.

Both Edmund and Johanna's attention was on her now, talking to Philip as she casually walked through the grass. Her conversation with the horse was about her dream and what happened at the battle front. Angelina knew fairly well whose horse Philip was, but having permission from the steed himself to ride him, she didn't bother asking Edmund.

Edmund crossed his arms in front of his chest, something he did a lot, and looked at her noticing his horse. At first he didn't know how to approach her or even if he should, but something inside of him told him to confront her. It was his horse after all.

"Do you know whose horse that is?" The half smirk he had before faded from his face.

Angelina looked at Philip, pretending to not notice, "yours your majesty?"