Chapter 17. Captives

They traveled for five days, going from one Narnian town to another to finally end up in the north where ships sailed all around the land

Angelina couldn't sleep, thinking not only about her mission but Edmund who she so desperately wanted to see again. He turned into a ghost, only visiting her in her dreams, reminding her of the time she was missing and the moments which were so precious to her. Knowing that soon she would probably have to face him, Angelina gripped the letter in her hand that she was still debating on giving to him. Odds were that Edmund would go completely mad reading this letter was very high. He would go mad from all the truth she put into it, he'd go mad from understanding that she is much different from who he thought she was, she was not the friend he already got used to.

Susan awoke as Angelina looked at the small fire near the camp they made. Susan Pevensie did not know what to say to the girl who was sitting right in front of her, staring at the warm fire thinking of the cold seas. She had a way of comforting her little sister, but Susan knew that Angelina was a completely different person. She had no idea what to say, and somehow cracking a joke didn't seem like the right way to start a conversation. The horses were long asleep, but the girl in front of her wasn't.

"Hey, couldn't sleep?" She started with small talk, hoping that that would take her somewhere.

Angelina looked at Susan who she didn't realize was already awake, "yeah. My mind just keeps on thinking and won't give me rest."

"I know the feeling," Susan sat up and moved in closer to Angelina, "you know Caspian and I used to love each other?" She warmed her hands by the fire. Caspian too was out to join the battle. He felt responsible for Edmund being sent, and the wedding he helped arrange, so at last second he volunteered to go as well.

"No," Angelina was surprised, "what happened?"

"Life," Susan laughed, "I left Narnia for a long time, then I came back and well, he was a king and I was a queen there was no need to complicate things further. Somehow along the way, we lost the touch of our hearts, but I still think about it sometimes, wondering what might have been."

"Do you think that happens to everyone who comes to Narnia? They leave and lose the connection they had with the people here?" Angelina asked, she wanted to ask directly if Susan thought that would happen to her and Edmund, but she knew that nor Susan nor Angelina herself knew what was going on between her and Edmund.

Susan furrowed her eyebrows, "no. I don't think it happens to everyone. I think that some people were just made to connect. You know Edmund told me a lot about you, about how you would save this world." She started laughing. Although Angelina was not Lucy, she could read her like the older sister Susan was to everyone.

"Wait, I thought he didn't tell anyone about me, he told you?" Angelina was confused.

Susan stretched her hands closer to the fire, "Edmund could never keep secrets from me, I am his big sister. The day he found you, Edmund heard a strange voice in the wind and said it was calling him out into the fields near Cair Paravel. I promised not to tell Peter because going out there was forbidden. When he came back with you, I realized that he was truly called by someone powerful and was meant to meet you first." Susan shook her head remembering the day, "we thought he was crazy believing some old book, Peter never took him seriously."