Chapter 42. Keeper Of Darkness

She had almost forgotten her home, until it came to her in a dream. That familiar London street that she wished her mother never moved to. The street felt somber and sad, with cold rain washing the sins of people living on it away. With those people, it washed her mothers sins away, and so it tried to wash hers. For some reason, she clenched to them, not wanting them to go just yet, knowing they were the only source of release she had. To her surprise, she remembered that she was safely tucked away in a royal bed of Cair Paravel, in a completely different world called Narnia.

Angelina shot her eyes open and looked around the dark room. It wasn't a small apartment in London like she dreamed, it was a huge royal room that surrounded her. Tall walls, a big balcony right in front of her bed. She missed her mother, who was very wise and would always help her with big life decisions that she had to take. The room she was now in was much larger than any room she had ever lived in, but it was missing that particular feel of coziness, it was missing the exact aspects that a small room would have.

Breathing in and out, she tried to fall back asleep but found that she couldn't. The crisp air filling the room from the window made it harder on her, the quite was distracting her from sleep. The air was so fresh, for the first time she thought of how not used to it she was. Not hearing the sound of cars zooming through the streets made her wish she could, at least to their sound she could fall asleep quickly. White noise helped her sleep.

Frustrated, she threw the covers off her and stood up from the bed. Pacing around the room and trying to think of something other than home, she still couldn't feel tired to fall asleep. Instead her mind went flying to her childhood and how her mother would carry her around at night just to help her sleep, how she would fall asleep on her shoulder in the dead of night. She missed her mother even more with each second she thought of her. The pull was stronger than ever, Angelina promised herself that when the war was over, she would do all in her strength to go back. Her mind didn't even go wondering to Edmund and what she would do about him, she figured that he would be against the idea.

Thinking a little bit more, she realized that the next day was supposed to be her birthday. It was strange, no one knew that it was her birthday, but she did. Would she have to tell them, or should she keep it a secret. Besides, turning 19 was quite a big deal, probably in Narnia it was a big deal as well. Without a clear decision, Angelina figured she would sleep on it and solve things tomorrow.

The next day, her mood was not very different from any other day. She didn't feel older, she didn't feel any change. Looking in the mirror, in the face of an adult, she still felt like a child. Taking a breath, she cleaned herself up and walked out of the room into the main dinning area where all the Pevensies and guests were gathered.

The men stood up greeting her, and the ladies smiled. Edmund pulled out a chair like a real gentleman and Johanna only gave her an angry glance.

"Good morning, Angelina." Lucy smiled at her.

Angelina bowed her head down, "good morning Lucy, and how are you this morning?"

"Very good, and yourself?" Lucy smiled even brighter, as if that was possible.

"Good as well, considering it is my birthday." Everyone stopped eating. Edmund put his spoon full of porridge down and Peter turned to Angelina in shock.

"Your birthday?" Edmund mumbled, barely letting anyone hear.

Peter stood up from his chair, "well goodness gracious this is unacceptable! You deserve a ball. How old are you now?"

"Nineteen." Angelina laughed at his outburst.

"Well heavens! Even more unacceptable! You need a ball right away. I will command the servants to throw one." He raised his hand signaling the staff.