Chapter 24. When A Good Man Goes To War

She hadn't seen hell, but she imagined it was something like the Narnian war. Constant loss, constant battles. The biggest fear of failure haunted her heart. Knowing that she could mess up, send all of them into oblivion. They depended on her strength and power, and that was enough pressure on a young woman. Losing her humanity, she mentally turned herself into a weapon.

As Angelina prepared herself for the multiple wounds and scars she would see, Edmund wanted to forget his nightmare. A part of him feared the witches words and that they might come true, another knew that he was redeemed by Aslan a long time ago. For the first time in his life, Edmund wished to be back home in London thinking of simpler things and school. Oh school, how he hated education when he was younger, now he wanted nothing but to learn. Somehow the scars he received from his peers were better than the ones from the white witch.

Yes, Edmund Pevensie was in deep fear and his heart was almost close to darkness. He didn't want to admit to Caspian that he might fail, he didn't want to admit it to anyone. Edmund Pevensie stood in the corner of a room waiting for a sign of anything. Anything being a simple whisper of hope.

Caspian waited for the ship to get close to land so that the crew and everyone else could get off. Not to say that he feared the war, Caspian was used to battles, he feared that the bad side would win. That somehow they won't be strong enough and the witch's army would win. It was a horrible thought that also covered the heart of Susan Pevensie, who could not take her eyes of the land she was about to step on. Readying her bow and arrow, she sighed and took in the old familiar smell of a battle field. 

When they got to shore, a general ran up to the kings and queen with a big bow. "Your majesties, we are losing to the other side!" He exclaimed after finishing his bow.

"Well, this is why we are here. You should not fear anymore." Caspian smiled and put his hand on the mans shoulder, desperately trying to hide his own worry.

"Who is this?" The man pointed to Angelina.

Caspian's smile widened, "this is our secret weapon, she has the light of Aslan in her."

"So the prophecy was true?" The man asked in amazement, not sure how this weak looking girl could save his land.

"It was." Angelina, now brave enough, spoke to the man herself.

~***~

In Cair Paravel, Peter was preparing to send a letter to the battle front. He was writing with his pen and hesitated to put it into an envelope.

"Isn't it so boring without Susan, Edmund, and Angelina here?" Lucy asked, looking outside the window.

"It's not our fault Susan and Angelina ran away Lu, besides Edmund had to go to war, it was his duty as a king." Peter responded without looking at his sister.

"Isn't it your duty too then, since you are the high king? Angelina only left because you separated them." Lucy looked at her brother with an annoyed expression.

Peter sighed, "I don't have time for silly games now Lucy."

Lucy Pevensie stood up from her chair and made her way out the door, shutting it with a loud sound to let Peter know that she was hurt. As the youngest, she got attention from her siblings enough, but now that she was older no one took her seriously. Peter, the oldest of the Pevensies, sought it to be his duty to take care of everyone.

A knock on the door distracted him from the letter he just wrote and was proof reading, "Lucy I told you I don't have any time for your fits!"

"It's me," Johanna walked in.