Chapter 50. Rebellion

It was easy for Nicolas to hype up a crowd while Johanna did all the dirty work in the shadows. For her, it was the spell that mattered, the very feeling of darkness going straight through her that filled her and then left her completely empty. She would look out the window and envy as Angelina played with the children, as if time itself was not a master to her. The children surrounding her would laugh and cheer as the keeper of light let in a little bit of Aslan to everyone's heart. Johanna would look, but she wouldn't let any tears fall from her cheeks, for tears were for the weak.

The darkness was now cloaked under the most powerful spell, and she already knew where the tree to other worlds was. All she had to do, was wait for Nicolas to start a rebellion. Questioning her morals, Johanna finally sat down on a chair to rest from the magic she had been doing day and night, to finally clear her head. She had not seen the kings and queens for a while now, knowing that Peter would be worried about her, as he is for every other guest of his kingdom. Johanna finally decided to step away from the shadows and into the light of day. Pulling herself off the chair and taking a charge at the door, there was an unspoken force that seemed to stop her from going outside. She felt like an old hag locked up in her own prison, when she could be enjoying the rays of the sun.

"Let me out!" She screamed at the door as it instantly cracked open. Yes, even wood learned to obey her.

Slowly taking her foot out the front door and letting the sun which was coming through the windows in the hall reach it, Johanna furrowed her eyebrows and proceeded with her way out. Around every corner, another shadow would be watching her, hating that she could be in the light. She stepped out of the room completely and made her way towards a silhouette of a little girl who was making herself a doll out of the twigs and leafs she found outside. As the girl slowly started to turn around, her eyes widened until she screamed in fear at Johanna. She covered her face, only seeing the little girl running further away from her. She knew that the screams would attract people, so she quickly crawled back into her room and looked at herself in the mirror. Silver all over her face, sparkling like a curse.

Her last drop of anger was spilled and she could not take the sight of the happy Narnians anymore. Looking out into the window, Johanna didn't care to turn around to face Nicolas who walked in a few seconds after her incident.

"What's wrong?" He looked at her cautiously.

"Start the rebellion." Johanna raised her hand and then swung it down in a swift motion.

Nicolas bowed his head and walked out of the room, a bit frightened by her. Of course, he had a plan of his own, but she still possessed the power to destroy him just by saying one word. She was too powerful, and he needed her. Naturally, he was afraid that she wasn't sane enough to start anything. Like all things, his selfishness and need for success forced him to do whatever it takes.

Starting with small uprisings in the village around Cair Paravel, Nicolas managed to quietly convince some of the Narnians to go against the kings and queens. He would tell them that the only reason they are here was to rule over the Narnians and they had no intention to protect them. The fear of the people drove them to do whatever it takes to be safe. Even if they had to overthrow their own king. Nicolas knew that he could only get his power if one king falls, the most important king, the high king Peter.

In Cair Paravel, none of the kings and queens suspected the rebellion. However when word came from Reepicheep that an army is gathering around the castle with Peter did not call, all of them were worried. Susan said that it might be an army to protect them and Lucy agreed, however the men were not so positive. Their main priority was to keep each other safe.

"We might even have to leave Cair Paravel," said Caspian, looking outside the window.

Lucy sat down and crossed her arms, she didn't want to leave, " why are we afraid of our own people?"