Chapter 43. The Flower

Afraid that the Kings and Queens would throw her an extravagant party, Angelina peeked through the door crack into the main event room. This room held all the celebrations and balls. She wished the siblings wouldn't make such a big deal out of it. If she were honest, she didn't want a celebration at all. Shaking her head, Angelina slowly made her way into the stables. It wasn't the same, celebrating her birthday without the usual morning pancakes her mom would make. Realizing more and more how much she missed her home, she wished that there was a window she could look through, just to glance at her mother.

"Thinking of something?" She heard Johanna's voice.

Angelina rapidly turned around, a bit shocked from the smile on Johanna's face. Her red hair was tied into a bun and she was nearing the keeper of light. Conscience appeared behind her and looked Johanna up and down. Point a finger at her he furrowed his eyebrows, "the hell is she doing here?"

"Don't be so frightened, I only came here to say that I know how you feel, I too am not with my parents. You know, Edmund is still horrible at gifts as he used to be. For our engagement announcement he only took me to those trees in the deep forest, what are they called again?"

"Who cares?" Conscience asked.

"How would I know?" Angelina whispered softly, she knew Johanna wanted something from her, but she wasn't interested in the girl's silly games.

Johanna laughed, "yes! Silly me, I forgot that he told me to never tell anyone about it, it was a special place for me and him only." She strolled to Philip and petted the horse, who groaned and turned away from her.

Conscience rolled his eyes, "don't tell me you're letting her get to you, she's saying it on purpose!"

"I don't think Philip likes it when people aside from his master pet him." Angelina said confidently.

Looking at her, Johanna smiled, "right, but for some reason he let you ride him. Not that I haven't been on Philip before, why it's him Edmund took to the little willow forest that I was talking about." She continued to pet the horse.

"Why are you here Johanna, why are you telling me all this?" She turned away from her and took some hay from the ground to occupy her fingers with.

"I just wanted to find common ground with you. Being the keeper of light and all must be stressful. Besides, I can relate to you, even though you are the girl who ripped my love away from me." She raised an eyebrow and put her hand on her hip.

"Ripped your love away from you?" Angelina smiled and walked up to her, "I definitely don't remember doing that."

Conscience paced around Johanna, which made Angelina smirk to herself, "in what kind of world do you believe that it was love? So, when someone cancels the wedding they had scheduled with you, that means they're in love?"

Johanna smiled viciously, "look here, you might be the keeper of light, but your powers are nothing compared to mine."

"And what sort of powers would you have, Johanna?" Angelina raised her eyebrows in surprise.

Thinking for a moment and not wanting to give out her identity, Johanna said, "the powers of love. True love, love at first sight."

Conscience let out a small laugh. Angelina wished Johanna could see him, well at least Phillip was as entertained as her. Conscience was much better at arguing than she was.

"I don't have time to argue with you, and frankly I need to get ready for my birthday." Angelina walked away from her, not wishing to turn around even when Johanna spoke the scariest thing Angelina had ever heard. The words chilled her bones, multiplying through her body.