Chapter 25. Stuck Between War And Silence

It was not unusual for him to be nervous before a battle. Loving to ponder about the meaning of his existence before something that was to set his fate, Edmund put on his royal armor. Some parts of this war reminded of the past, of the history that seemed to repeat itself even in a place like Narnia. It was not the first time King Edmund The Just was putting on his silver Narnian armor and going to battle. He looked at himself in the mirror, knowing that if he survives this it wouldn't be the last time he looks at himself like this.

On the other side of the Narnian camp, Angelina made her way through the tents in search of Caspian. She still wasn't sure of her abilities, even though she was confident in them. There was no way the witch would win this time, Angelina's mind was set on victory and she wasn't going to let anyone stand in her way.

"Caspian?" She entered the tent, walking into Edmund in the tent instead.

The King was a bit startled, not expecting her to be looking for Caspian, and in his tent too. "He's is on the other side." Edmund smiled a bit.

"All these tents look the same, I can never tell." She shook her head in frustration.

"Well, we are going to plan out the battle for the last time, so Caspian will be here anytime." Edmund fixed his armor in the mirror.

Angelina ran her eyes up and down his body, it scared her how different he looked in his suit of armor. She didn't even realize she was staring until she heard his voice, "anything interesting you see?"

A smirk quickly covered the pale face of the just king and he crossed his arms in front of his chest looking at Angelina and waiting for her excuses.

"You look so different in your armor." She sighed without giving him a smile. He looked more official and determined than he usually did. The bright and happy Edmund was replaced by someone serious, someone who was ready to spill blood.

"I'm supposed to look different. Do you not like it?" Edmund squinted his eyes and tilted his head a bit. She might have been afraid of him, she had never seen him in his armor before.

"Not that I don't like it, it just makes me feel like something bad will happen. Something bad always happens when a good man has to go to war." Angelina took a deep breath and wanted to forget that the battle ever existed. She wanted to be back in the castle with Edmund chasing her down the garden, both trying to express their mixed feelings towards each other.

"How do you know I am a good man? I could be completely rotten inside and never show it to you, I could have a dark side." He spoke with such remorse that it made her think of the things she didn't know about him.

"I know you betrayed your family a long time ago, a very long time ago. Edmund, you are not your mistakes." Angelina tried to encourage him.

He thought for a moment, hanging his head, "I know. However, there are so many things you don't know about me, things you might never even know after this battle." A smile cracked on his face, when he was in pain, Edmund used humor to get by. There was a possibility of him dying, and he was preparing himself more for it than her.

"Don't even talk about that! You will survive this, you will remember to come back no matter what. We are in this battle together and I promise you Edmund Pevensie we will go back to Cair Peravel." She jumped to his side and cupped his face with both her hands, looking deep into his hurt brown eyes. Staring at them for eternity was an easy task, but letting them go was hard.

"And if I don't. If I die. Will you still write me letters?" His smile faded.

Angelina shook her head in disapproval of what he was saying, "as long as there are windows in heaven and paper on this earth, I would write to you every day."