Chapter 20. Back On The Ship

It didn't take long for Edmund and Angelina to run into the middle of the forest, looking back once in a while just to see if any guards were following them

It didn't take long for Edmund and Angelina to run into the middle of the forest, looking back once in a while just to see if any guards were following them. To their big surprise, dead silence filled their surroundings only to be disturbed by their hastened breaths as they tried to slow down.

The woods were the darkest place she had ever been in. Of course, it was always dark in the library she used to sneak into in London. Suddenly, Angelina started missing London, her mom, her life. She knew that she was destined for adventure, but a completely different world was not what she expected. Her thoughts were scattered all over the place, thinking about how she wanted to go back home only a few weeks ago and now she was saving the king who rescued her. She wasn't able to catch her breath and leaned against a tree, he did the same, joining her. Noticing the excitement in his eyes, she wanted to hug him for she was finally reunited with her best friend.

"Angelina, are you alright?" His concerned voice sounded as he put his hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort her.

Not expecting his touch her body naturally shivered, "I'm fine." Now looking up at him, she replied.

"Nonsense, you are shivering." Edmund's hand managed to pull her into a hug.

Out of the dead silence of the woods and their breathing, a small growl was heard. Angelina quickly turned her head to the noise, Edmund following her lead soon after. He realized that all he had was his bare hands and that was not enough to protect her. At that moment she was the only one he was concerned with, forgetting that he was also in danger. The Narnian wilderness was strange, but the only wolf he had ever met was one that talked to him, these wolves, however, came from the real world, their masters abandoning them in the woods whenever they didn't need them. These wolves could not be reasoned with.

"Stay close to me." He pulled her in closer, holding her hand tighter.

A pair of yellow eyes emerged from the bushes of the dark woods, followed by what seemed like millions of the same glowing eyes. There was no mistake, these were wolves, and not just any wolves, but wild Narnian wolves rumored to tear a person's heart out in one bite. Who was Edmund to be frightened by them, he was a king and the option for fear was not on his list. However, even Edmund gulped with fear as he stared into the sharp teeth of the animal which was about to attack him at any second.

As the wolf growled and prepared to charge at them, Angelina closed her eyes and prayed for a miracle. She opened them only to be met with a green glow coming from the corners of the trees. Being sure that it was a combination of fear and adrenaline, she didn't even bother to look down as her hand was no longer holding onto Edmund's. Her hand was glowing with a light brighter than the stars. Aslan's light. Without putting much thought into it, she directed her hands towards the hungry wolf. The animal quickly backed away from the king he was about to attack. The green fog also departing from them, as if it were scared of her.

Without Conscience whispering encouraging words into her ear, she would not have enough strength or bravery to even try and defeat the wolves.