Chapter 44. Found In The Crowd

She was repeating it over and over again. Angelina wanted to let the Narnians know how much their hospitality meant to her. They accepted her, an outsider, and let her into their lives. Although, some of them lost faith in Aslan, they still believed that she was a sign, and the prophecy books never lie. Glancing at herself in the mirror, she helped up a piece of paper she was reading off of.

"Thank you so much, I am eternally grateful," She said to herself and then shook her head. If she was going to convince them that she truly appreciates them, she had to use some fancy vocabulary tucked away in the back of her mind. Not being the one who speaks well to a big crowd of people, Angelina sighed in fear that she won't be able to do it at all, her knees would wobbly and feet would give way for the gravity to pull them down. Or she'd just faint all together. 

Throwing the paper into the air, she ran to her bed and fell on it. She wished that she didn't have to go down to the ballroom in her fancy dress, she wished that she would stay in her room, wished that she would see her mother and that they'd go to the cinema or the park to just talk like they always did on her birthday.

A knock on her door made her stand up from the bed and walk up to the door to open it. Not wanting to see anyone she sighed in frustration but, quickly changed her attitude upon noticing the person in the doorway.

"Not happy to see me?" Edmund smirked, and the crinkles by his eyes increased.

Angelina pulled him in, "no, why did you come?"

"Alright then, I guess I will just leave," he started making his way out the door but, she only pulled him back to her.

"I was kidding," Angelina smiled.

He took her by the hand and connected their foreheads, "are you excited?"

She closed her eyes and shook her head, "I am not big with crowds, I always get lost and then I get tired. Big gatherings make my head spin. I wish I could just stay in this room and not go."

Pushing her down on the bed, Edmund hovered over her, "you know what I wish, I wish to stay in this room with you and not go to the party."

"Well you are welcome to," she smiled, tracing her hands up his back.

"Am I?" He leaned in and kissed her cheek, his lips leaving trails down to her neck. It all escalated too quickly for him, and his hands were already roaming over her body until he heard her soft moan and shot his eyes open in realization. Edmund pulled away from her and breathed in heavily.

"What's wrong?" Angelina put her hand on his shoulder.

Edmund turned to her, "I shouldn't have done that. I am sorry. This is why I wanted us to go slow, because I don't think any man would be able to control his natural urges when faced with you, better yet, a king."

A part of her wanted to burst out into laughter because of course, only he could call desire a natural urge of a man. Smiling, Angelina laughed how silly he was being in her eyes. If he was born in her century, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but Edmund wasn't. He was born in a completely different time, with love still as a high standard and commitment as key. It would be degrading for him to break his morals that he so firmly believed in. She was impressed with how his heart quickly caught up with his temptations.

"You know, I think I'm glad you are different. It makes you look more noble than the guys I know," she said like she knew any guys. Rubbing his back, she wrapped her arms around him to hug him.

Edmund looked at her, "it's not a question of nobility it is a question of will. Do you control your temptations or do they control you, that is what makes one a man. However, I am glad that you prefer me out of all those boys in your world."