Chapter 41. Purpose

Not sure of how she should react to almost being assassinated, Angelina walked through the gardens trying to get her mind off the fact that she might have died. It's not every day a stranger with a knife plots to attack you for no particular reason. She understood that she would have enemies, but she didn't even do anything to the man personally, why would he try to kill her? All she knew was the white witch was powerful and could turn even the purest of hearts into the worst merciless killers. Her blood boiled. She had to do something about it.

"Are you alright?" She heard Peter's voice and turned around. He embraced her tightly.

"I am fine, did Edmund tell you?" She asked, not able to breath from his tight hug.

Peter let go, "tell me? He screamed at me. He was furious, I felt like I was the one trying to assassinate you and he was giving me a piece of his mind."

"Oh my, he shouldn't have reacted in such a way," Angelina turned away from Peter and sat on the stone bench.

"It's okay, he cares about you, very much. I am terribly sorry that you experienced such a thing." He joined her.

Angelina sighed, it's not like she wasn't warned by Aslan that she would have enemies. The assassination made the fight for good much more real to her than it was before. She had a duty and many wanted to see her fail as the keeper of light.

"It was bound to happen sooner or later. I am a controversy." She admitted more to herself than to Peter.

His features softened, "aren't we all? Think about it, some of the Narnians forgot about Aslan, the witch is the most powerful right now. We still follow Aslan. I am as much of a controversy as you are, they should assassinate me too. And believe me, they have tried. It's not easy being the high king of Narnia."

Peter was right, they were all a threat to the witch's regime. She didn't want them to show her people hope in a better world and a better way to serve, she wanted them to keep believing that there was no truth. The worst part was that most of the Narnians didn't acknowledge her as much as they didn't acknowledge Aslan. The best trick the devil ever pulled was letting the world believe he never existed, well Jadis was the devil of Narnia. Although some have seen her, they took her as a mere object of their imagination. Peter tried to explain that as best as he could to Angelina.

"I don't understand how they can't see the obvious truth! We are even fighting wars with her!" She didn't understand.

Peter sighed, "technically we are fighting with her armies, armies who believe that she still exist, not her."

"But I saw her on the battlefield! She made me sleep, she made Edmund forget. I still don't understand how she did that, she didn't even come anywhere near him." Angelina tried to run the scenes in her head to remember.

"Well maybe she didn't make him forget then," his skepticism gave her an idea.

"What if she didn't!?" Angelina almost leaped up from her seat from excitement.

Peter furrowed his eyebrows, "but then who would, I mean only she knows the power of deep dark magic."

"There must be someone else who knows! It doesn't seem like her to do such a thing, besides as you said, she is a ghost, she is limited on this plane. Aslan is from another dimensions right? Well what if she is also from another dimension? A ripple in the plane, a ghost...A shadow!" Angelina paced around the garden.

"But she made you fall asleep and dream of a totally different world?" Peter knew that her logic was leading her somewhere and tried to help.

Angelina put her finger into the air, "yes! Only a part of her spirit was in me, haunting my very being. However, Edmund woke up before me, he forgot me because of something completely different, because I remembered and he didn't."