Chapter 35. Strange Creatures

She stood shaken next to the body of a young guard. Angelina was the first one to run up to the helpless looking man in front of her. His eyes were bloodshot and the girl standing next to him looked at her. Only when she turned around did Angelina notice the face of Johanna. Edmund was already at the scene furrowing his eyebrows, his mouth partially opened. No one, however, questions how quickly Johanna got there.

The scene shocked him, this young man probably had a family he had to take care of, the injustice of his death made the king mad. Whoever the culprit was he had to be dealt with, and no one wanted the king of justice to find injustice going on.

Peter was already halfway at the scene running towards them with Caspian, his sisters, and prince Nicolas behind him. The guards which were looking after them also followed. He looked over at the body and then at Caspian who walked up closer to it and examined it.

"The wound, it's like someone blew through this man's head." Caspian leaned down again to look at it. The body was clean, but blood was slowly oozing from one half of the man's head.

"Who would have such cruelty?" Susan shook her head in disbelief.

Johanna was about to cry out again as Peter grabbed her by the hand and pulled her towards him before she could fall into the arms of his brother.

"Don't worry, this cruelty will not go unpunished." Peter spoke to her and looked at Angelina who was standing like a stone statue looking at the body in front of her. She was in a state of shock, even though she saw dead bodies on the battlefield it was different to see one single man brutally murdered out of nowhere in a place where she lived.

She relaxed as she felt the hand of Edmund slip into hers, letting her know that everything was okay and she was safe next to him. Letting her body relax from the tension, she turned to face the king who was still holding her hand.

"We need to find whoever did this!" Nicolas walked up to Caspian and grabbed him by the shoulders, "I will not live in a castle with a murderer."

"We will find him your highness, that's what we do." Edmund spoke up for Caspian who had no idea what to say to prince Nicolas.

"Alright, I think the ladies have seen too much excitement for one day. Johanna you are completely shaken, I will take you to your room and the others will be taken to their rooms to. Let us go." Peter dragged her away from the scene as she kept her gaze on Edmund and tried to explain that she wanted him to take her.

Lucy, being the wise little sister took Nicolas by the arm and started walking with him, stopping him from taking Angelina. She started explaining to him how justice will be served and Edmund will see to it.

Caspian and Susan exchanged glances and then looked at Edmund who understood what they had in mind. He already knew that his sister fancied the Telmarine king and had no say in it. So, rolling his eyes as a sign of acknowledgement, Edmund took Angelina by the arm and started leading her away from them.

The guards were already tending to the body and everyone was on their way for a good nights sleep. A part of Edmund wanted to spend more time with this mysterious girl who made him feel things he had not felt in a while, or forgot about feeling. But, the other part of him wanted to dive into the murder of the innocent man.

Suddenly, out of nowhere came a strange sound of someone walking around. Angelina stopped forcing Edmund to stumble back a little bit. Shortly the sound reached him and he pulled out his sword ready to face whoever dared walk in the night. They both figured it was the killer, for no one else would walk down the halls of Cair Paravel in such an hour unless they were lost.