Chapter 18. To Save A King

He didn't know what to expect as the sun hit his eyes and he was blinded by the rays that he wanted to feel on his face once again

He didn't know what to expect as the sun hit his eyes and he was blinded by the rays that he wanted to feel on his face once again. The screams of the crowd deafened his ears. These people were out for blood, and they would even kill their own king to get it. If Edmund was being honest, he was a little bit scared looking into the eyes of men who did not acknowledge him as their ruler. It was one thing for people to deal with the Narnians, but this time Edmund had to experience their wrath on himself. Looking ahead of him, confidently to not lose his status, he let them lead him to the center of a marble rink, surrounded by people.

Caspian was by his side, both of them being led to what seemed to be the podium. Two tall guards stood in the middle, their spears close to the kings throats as they approached them. 

"Behold," a sharp and raspy voice sounded, "the king of Narnia in all his majesty!" He mocked Edmund's state, he was in shackles, unable to move his hands around.

The crowd started laughing as Caspian approached the podium first, instantly being tied up to one of the polls, he awaiting for whatever was to come. Glancing back at Edmund he gave him a small fearful smile. It all reminded Edmund of how Aslan had to suffer for him, be mocked in front of all of those who hated him.

As the crowd cheered and smiled at Caspian's helpless state, Edmund was next to approach the poll. The man standing there, announcing their arrival eyed him from top to bottom.

"Why look what we have here," he came up closer to the young king to which Edmund looked away, "this is no ordinary ruler!" The man addressed the crowd. His face said it all, he knew exactly who Edmund was, and a hint of fear sparked in his eyes.

"This is King Edmund The Just, of old." As if paralyzed by whom they were seeing, the crowd went silent. After a few seconds of Edmund looking at them, they started laughing again, realizing that the king could not bring them harm being tied up to a poll.

Angelina and Susan were approaching the crowds as they heard the man with the raspy voice scream. Susan's heart skipped for Caspian and her brother, afraid that something bad might happen to them. Angelina noticed how the crowd reacted to Edmund and turned to Susan.

"Why are they afraid of him?" She asked.

"Edmund is the best swordsman in Narnia, never lost a fight. Besides, he is the king of old, Aslan himself named him," Susan answered.

Angelina turned back to the podium looking at the two kings tied to the polls, "the king of old," She whispered so quietly that Susan couldn't make out what she was saying. She had caught Aslan calling her a queen of old before she left, although she didn't know what to think of it back then, but now the word had popped out at random times, too random for it to be a coincidence.

"What do we do, how do we save them?" Susan exclaimed, worried.

Before Angelina could answer the man who seemed to be in charge of their fate started screaming again, "we challenge you, kings of Narnia. Your best fighter for ours."