Chapter 49. Promises

Star-crossed lovers was not something he was looking for. Despite reading all the famous books about timeless lovers who bravely fought off the world or died trying, he never believed love like that existed. To him love was something completely different, it was a selfless act of putting yourself completely before someone else. Still, she was the star and he was stardust, grasping and breathing in her lovely summer air.

Becoming more entangled in her fingers, he opened his eyes to the warm body lying beside him on the sofa, reading a good book on a free Saturday evening. Her other hand turned the page, the sound of paper moving against paper waking him up from his daze. The wood crackled in the fireplace, warming the cold walls of the summer castle. She was distracted, her eyes running through the words, engulfed in the story she was reading. Her ears were red with excitement of the events happening in the little book she clenched to. Glancing at the title above the page, Edmund figured it was a mystery novel of some sort. Turning to his side, he applied his chapped lips to her ear, tasting the warmth of her excitement. Her body tensed up and she turned to him, noticing that his eyes were no longer closed and focused on his daydream. A warm smile parted her lips and her eyes met his. The peace and silence of the moment almost seemed unreal to the both of them with the constant wars and battles they heard about.

Hands naturally snaking their way around her waist, he took the book out of her hand and threw it to the ground, the vicious tool that was distracting her from giving his cheeks attention. Giggling, her hand palmed his cheek and now they were facing each other, both of their bodies stretched out on the sofa side on the back of the soft place.

"Do you hear that?" Edmund asked, whispering into her ear, afraid that if he said it a little too loud the whole castle would hear.

She smiled, "no?"

"It's silence," he applied a kiss to her cheek, now tracing his lips through the trail he memorized by heart down her neck. It was always the same, he would stop himself before going too far, but give her enough kisses to satisfy both of their desires of each others attention. Then he'd just softly brush her cheek with his fingers, fearing that one day he wouldn't be able to stop. He never kissed her lips, knowing that they would lead him to the most tempting of acts.

This time she didn't ignore their usual innocent kissing session, she wondered why it was all so difficult yet simple at the same time. She admired his skill to pull away anytime they both felt some situations might lead to more, but it also frustrated her to have him so close and not being able to kiss his precious red lips that he always seemed to save for special occasions.

Although all of his memory was back, he wished there were still things he could discover about her all over again, like the way her cheek tastes and how her breath seems to hasten every time he kisses the spots on her neck over and over again. The goosebumps that he got used to, he wished he would still discover again as if they were new.

"Why are you so deep in thought?" She asked, as she noticed him staring her down with his eyes instead of kissing her. The peace and quite was ruined by his echoing thoughts that threatened to become his words.

Edmund sighed, "I am always deep in thought, if you haven't forgotten." He joked, hoping that joke would make her change the subject. Instead, it resulted in her standing up and picking the novel off the ground, putting it on the side table in front of the sofa. He pulled himself up as will to sit and stared at her motions. She was so mesmerizing that he could look at her all day.

She was tempted to just excuse herself and grab the book and lock herself in her room, but she'd miss him too much to do so. Instead, she took his hand into hers, and pulled him up, "what do you want to do now?" She asked, looking around the room.

They would have to leave their safe haven eventually, as much as she didn't want to. Edmund looked to the door and led her to it, his fingers intertwined with hers. "We will have to leave this comfort silence and join the rest of the world."

"Promise me something," her hand pulled his back before he could open the door.

He looked into her blue eyes, "what?" Although she had a serious expression, he took it as a joke.

"When all the noise in this world keeps you busy, you won't forget to close your eyes and think of me. No matter what situation we are both in, whether together or alone." She sighed, asking him.

Edmund frowned, cupping her face gently, "what has led you to this worry? Of course, I could never not think of you."

"Just promise me, if anything happens," she was afraid that he'd forget again, perhaps not by curse but some accident.

Taking her hands into his and applying soft kisses to her knuckles, he smiled, "I promise, love."

To him it seemed silly, nothing would happen to them anymore, but it gave her some sort of relief hearing him promise it to her. They weren't some sort of fairy tale love story that goes through trials and ends up always ending with a happily ever after. Edmund got lost in the reality of it, he didn't even think that so many love stories have something close to a fairy tale feel. All he saw was her in front of him, and she was scared to the bone of losing him and so was he of losing her.

They walked out of the room hand in hand, talking of some nonsense to pass the time. She watched the light reflect off of his cheekbones every time he smiled. Her love towards him increased over the last few months they were together, although half of them they spent as friends. She could feel how her heart started to open up more to him, whispering her darkest secrets into his ear. It scared her how much she trusted him and how close she was able to be with him, but he did the same to her so if it was only fair.

Not everyone has someone they could easily talk to, that one person who can sit and listen without looking strangely or clearly being bored. Everyone is looking for a soul to connect with, but not everyone finds that connection. To replace that lonely feeling, people start to look for love in many different places, but if you look for light in darkness, how will you ever discover it? She didn't even look for love, it found her when she least expected it, but when she needed it the most.

He was protective of her, making sure his arm was always available for her to lock her own arm into. She was also protective of him in many ways, looking out for him and making sure that if he needed anything she would be able to give it. They both cared immensely and both were afraid of losing the other.

When they noticed that the amount of people in the halls started increasing, they felt uneasy being so close to each other. Although their hands weren't separated, their souls were and they followed the crowd of people that lead them to the throne room.

Everything always happened in the throne room, and Peter was as busy as ever. He was still discussing some tactics with Caspian on how to attack the witch's army again. None of them had any fresh ideas, and they both knew Edmund wouldn't have any either since all of his minds attention was on someone else at all times lately.

Seeing him enter the room with Angelina, both Caspian and Peter sighed, they were not getting any work done, and the couple would distract them, but they underestimated their power. When Edmund glanced at the maps and attack plan, with his fresh mind, he quickly found the flaws and placed the chess pieces that the two kings used as figurative soldiers onto better places. Angelina too pitched in a few ideas that the, now three, kings listened to. 

All four of them knew that the rest of the time would be spent planning and working with the maps. To get more comfortable, she pulled up a chair and smiled at the kings, ready to tackle whatever task they'd give her.