5. The Day of Decision

Hey ya'll I'm back! 

This chapter actually took less time then I thought it would, so here it is!

Meira's POV:

We were all lined up side by side outside the council room. The North House was first, then the West House, then the South House, and then the East House. I was last in line to go for my house. "Freya!" Heidi, the deputy head council member said after she had opened the doors. I bit my lip as Freya followed Heidi through the double doors, my blood boiling.

I got out of the infirmary yesterday, but I had two broken ribs, so bandages were wrapped around me and they have to stay like that for a few more days. I thought about that for a minute, how that when I get these bandages off, I'll be a warrior or something else. I was terrified. I'm quite sure I am going to become a warrior, but know really knows until you walk in those doors.

It was a few hours until it was my turn. The hall we had all been waiting in was empty except for me. My heart thundered in my chest as I followed Heidi through the doors and into the council room. It was a very large room with a high ceiling made of gold. The tile walls were painted of the history of Thorix and tall windows were to my left. A large, round table sat in the very middle of the room. Lady Monroe sat at the end of the table facing me.

Heidi left my side and went to stand behind Lady Monroe, who showed little to no emotion whatsoever. I bowed and tried to stop shaking. "Meira," Lady Monroe said, her voice filling the silence.

                                                                                                  ~

Hours earlier

Third Person POV:

Lady Monroe stood at one of the windows in the council room, preparing for long hours of telling what was to become of the girls that were ready for today. Each of them had turned fourteen as of today, but Lady Monroe suspected that was the last things on their minds. Lady Monroe has never enjoyed being the person to tell what these girls will be doing for the rest of their lives, feeling like she was responsible for their happiness, but she is head of the Council, there is nothing she could do.

A screech pierced the air and Lady Monroe snapped her head up to the ceiling to see a dark red phoenix circling above her, a scroll of paper in it's talons. It dipped down and let of the paper into Lady Monroe's opened hands. The phoenix circled in the air one more time before disappearing out the opened doors.

Not only was this strange because no animal could get into the council building going unnoticed, and that a message to Lady Monroe would be delivered by hand. Lady Monroe slowly untied the dark red ribbon and unfurled the scroll, reading it over.

Lady Monroe,

I know the girl has the Crystal. Give the Crystal to me and she and the people of Thorix may live. If you do not cooperate, then I will take the Crystal myself. And I will not be generous of your lives.