Chapter 5: Unraveling at the Seams

Jackson walks over and embraces me in a hug. I instantly calmed me down. "Shhh, it's ok Eden. Everything will work out."

"But how do you know?" Uncertainty was evident in my voice.

"Do you trust God?" His question sunk into the depths of my heart. I nodded. "Then trust that He will protect you."

Mr. Wang cut in, "Eden, I know my brother Andy..." I winced at his name.

"Wait, your brother?" I moved from under Jackson and walked towards Mr. Wang. "What do you mean 'your brother'?"

"Andy... Duìbùqǐ! (I'm sorry)" Everyone looked at me with pity. Jackson was the only one who genuinely didn't know what was going on. "He is my younger brother, yes..." Mr. Wang combed his fingers through his hair and sighed. "I was the one who found you in that alley, dead, 7 years ago."

"No! Don't... Don't you dare say it!" I fell to the floor shaking my head. I covered my ears as the memories I tried so hard to erase resurfaced.

"You were bloodied and bruised. I carried you to my private clinic. There, the doctor resuscitated you. Unfortunately, he couldn't save your baby...."

"STOP! NO MORE...PLEASE?" I cried.

"Dad, what's going on?" Jackson asked. There was not a dried eye in the room, except for a confused Jackson.

"8 years ago..." I spoke, "I met this amazing man while I was finishing up my training in China. We fell in love, and I decided to stay with him. Things were great for the first 6 months, and then he changed. He started hitting me and he eventually locked me in the house."

I just let the tears flow as I hugged myself. "I fought back, but he would always win. He kept me away from my family and society. I couldn't eat, breathe or sleep without his permission. This went on for 6 more months. Until one day he... he raped me. 3 months later I found out that I was pregnant. I secretly contacted my dad and asked him to come rescue me. I... I didn't know that Andy had tapped the phone lines. When he got home that night he beat me to death and dumped me in an alley to rot."

I forced myself to continue. "When I came to, the doctor, the very same doctor who patched me up today, informed me that I lost my baby!" I was screaming now, "HE BROKE ME AND TOOK EVERYTHING FROM ME!!!I HAD NOTHING LEFT TO LOSE, SO I TRIED TO KILL MYSELF TO ESCAPE THE PAIN AND CONSTANT NIGHTMARES. GOD WOULDN'T LET ME DIE, AND NOW ANDY HAS FOUND ME AGAIN! HE SENT MEN TO KIDNAP ME! DO YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND? IF I MARRY JACKSON I PUT HIM IN DANGER! I CAN'T LOSE ANYONE ELSE. I JUST CAN'T..."

Jackson bent down and placed a kiss on top of my forehead. "I wouldn't let anything happen to you. We're bonded, remember?"

"How do you guys know about "The Bond?" Mrs. Wang asked suspiciously.

"Doctor Jiào told us when Eden was spazzing out in the clinic." I buried my face into his shoulder and breathed in his scent. He smelt like honeysuckle and wood, and it brought back happy memories of my childhood. The storm within us intensified, but it was a pleasurable feeling.

My mom spoke up, "Well then you should know that there are positives and negatives when it comes to the bond. The longer you touch the more powerful the heat and electricity get making it uh... pleasurable." She cleared her throat in embarrassment. "But here's where it gets dangerous. If you decide to reject one another the consequences are grave. You will experience pain that will only increase with each passing day. The only way to stop it is to reunite."

"How do you know so much about this, mom?" I looked at her with a raised eye brow.

"We're all bonded to our spouses. God destined us to be, and what He put together no man can tear apart. You will be able to discern each other's emotions too." I understood.

"Come on. Let's get you off this floor." Jackson helped me up and cleaned me off. He wiped the remainder of my tears away, but his hand stayed a little too long on my cheek. He looked at me with eyes of love, and I hesitated. "Eden, I won't hurt you. You can trust me."

"I'm sorry..." I looked to the floor. "It'll take some getting used to." He lifted my head. I averted his gaze.

"Eden, look at me." I sighed in defeat. "I will do everything in my power to protect you. I promise." And with that he kissed my forehead.

"They're perfect for each other." Amber beamed, which caused Ayanna, Soo Young, my mom, Fēi and Mrs. Wang to giggle. My dad cleared his throat which caused Jackson and I to distance ourselves.

"How about we move the wedding up? Does 3 months sound reasonable?" Jackson spoke to the women.

"Jackson, are you sure?" I whispered just in case he decided to change his mind. My heart was quickening.

"Yes! I'd do anything for you, Gōngzhǔ (Princess)!" He smiled, and I melted.

"We have a lot of planning to do. Let's go ladies. Men we'll catch up with you later." Amber pulled me along and ideas were being thrown out. This should be interesting.