Chapter 48: Masquerade

It's the day of the Valentines Day masquerade ball. Anyone to everyone with ties to my family were there. My in-laws: Amber, Henry, my parents, Andy and Giselle, my fellow Sages, Taecyeon, Ayanna, TJ, AJ, Aiden, 8 month pregnant Sooyoung, Michael and Gabriel are here, dressed to impress.

As promised Aiden Lee is my date. My relationship with my parents is still strained, so they were cautious when asking me who my date was. I ignored them and dragged Aiden Lee along with me until the time came to reintroduce everyone.

Not even my brothers knew what was going on. So the glares they sent my way didn't go unnoticed for the most part.

The girls and I wanted to pull off a Disney themed masquerade. So we were dressed as the Disney Princesses. The guys all had black suites and masks on.

**

As my father and mother were making a toast to the strong bonds of family I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. The moment their speech came to an end Mr. Sanchez walks into the center of the room holding Ayanna as a hostage, demanding that we hand over his granddaughter Giselle, or he will kill her. Gabriel and Michael take TJ and AJ and transport them elsewhere.

"I'll handle this. Avoid my family at all cost. When Jackson arrives we'll tell everyone then, but not a moment sooner." I whisper to Aiden Lee and he reluctantly leaves my side and walks out the doors, but not before kissing my cheek and telling me to be careful.

Andy goes to confront Mr. Sanchez, but I intervene. "I got this under control. Just stay put and protect your wife."

Andy glares at me with such hatred that my walls start crumbling down. "The last time you handled it Giselle died."

I cover my emotions and blankly stare at him. "A thank you would suffice. I did it to help you two."

"We didn't need your help!" Giselle counters.

"Yes, you did. Just like you need my help now, but don't worry. This time I'll finish the job permanently. So don't get in my way." My words come off harsh, but that's only because I'm hurting.

"Ah, so this is the infamous Eden Wang. Is it true that your husband met an unfateful end?" Mr. Sanchez taunts.

"Leave my husband out of this. This is between you and I. After all you have the audacity to come in here waging war, even though I invited you out of the kindness of my heart. You've over stayed your welcome; I'm merely going to show you the way out." I said smirking.

Mr. Sanchez puts the gun to Ayanna's head, and she starts crying. "I don't have time for your games, Eden. Just give me what's mine, and I'll be on my way."

"Ah, you see therein lies the problem. Nothing here belongs to you." I grin, stalking closer to him. His hands begin to shake. "Release her, so we can talk in private." He sets her free, and I guide him out of the Grand hall.

I turn back to everyone. "Please continue your mingling and dancing. I shall return shortly." I smile as the music begins and the people start dancing again. I close the door and drop my facade. "Right this way, Mr. Sanchez." I escort him to a big, empty soundproof room in the basement.

I walk in first and sit on the only furniture in the room. "Your reputation precedes you, Eden. You didn't really think I'd come alone, did you?" Mr. Sanchez says as 20 men file into the room.

"Truthfully, I was hoping you didn't." I say bored. "Anyways, why do you want Giselle so badly? I ruined any hopes of you forming an alliance with the Axe Gang. So, what about her is so important?"

"Jealous?" Mr. Sanchez smirks.

I roll my eyes at him. "She has nothing I want." I deadpan.

He steps closer. His arms remain folded over his chest. "Really? Because I've done my research..."

"Well congratu-freaking-lations!!! Do you wanna cookie, Santa Claus?" Some of his hired men stifle their laughs by coughing to cover it up. "My patience is running thin. I suggest you tell me what I want to know before this encounter ends badly for you. And by 'you,' I mean only you."

"Can't I be concerned about the wellbeing of my granddaughter?" Mr. Sanchez inquires.

"Wrong answer." I throw a dagger at his thigh, and he screams out in pain. "I really don't want to have to ask you again."

He dispatches his 20 men, but they all walk over to my side. "What? What's the meaning of this?"

I stalk closer to Mr. Sanchez. "You see, I've done some research of my own. The day you sided with the Axe Gang and decided to wage war on my family is the day you signed your death warrant."

His eyes held shock, fear and confusion. "I thought you were doing this for Giselle?"

I scoffed. "If she wasn't destined to be with Andy, I would've killed her off a long time ago. But on the flip side I am doing it for her. No one should ever be forced to marry nor should they be used as a sex slave just to fulfill your lust for power. It's degrading and it's disgusting!

I wanted to eliminate you myself, but there's someone else who wants you dead greater than I do." I turn to the guard on my left. "Please bring in my guest." I turned back to Mr. Sanchez. "These gentlemen here are human, not just some disposable pawns in your sadistic game. That's why they were so easy to convince to ally themselves with Giles/Wang Enterprises.

We treat our allies like family. Family looks out for each. Family has your back." The door opens and he steps through. "Ah, Alejandro." He kisses my cheek. "Thank you for coming. Here he is as promised. Come and find me when you're done."

I walked back into the ballroom in time to see Jackson, Meiying and Jia making their way to our family. Operation Resurrection is a GO.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adam Rodríguez .... as Alejandro

Edward James Olmo... as Mr. Jorge Sanchez