Chapter 12: Heart's Cry

Eden's POV:

*On the jet to Jerusalem*

Reality set in that this battle is inevitable. If I could avoid this I would. If I could save everyone I would. I knew that as soon as we stepped on the jet that there was no turning back. Nothing will ever be the same from this day forth, and that scares me. I don't want to lose the ones I love. I don't think I could handle it this time around.

"Bǎobèi, what are you thinking about?" Jackson asked. I haven't left his side since we departed from the hotel. I refused to sit in my own chair, so I took up residence on his lap. Right now I'm cuddled up on him, holding on tight, afraid that if I let go he'll disappear right before my eyes. I can't take another heart break.

"I'm scared." My voice comes out as a whisper. I choke back my tears. "I don't want to lose you or anyone for that matter... I...I want to save him too, babe..." His grip tightens on me. He knows that I'm referring to Andy. Even though he's done horrible things to me I want to save him. There has to be a way to free him.

"Bié! (Don't!)" The frustration is rolling off of him and seeping into my skin. "Wèishéme nǐ yào jiù tā bìjìng tā duì nǐ zuòle kěpà de shìqíng? (Why would you want to save him after all of the horrible things he's done to you?)"

I sigh. This conversation was bound to happen. "Everyone deserves a second chance. I just can't leave him alone to suffer in the dark."

I hear him scoff above me. "Yeah, he didn't seem to have a problem leaving you and your unborn baby to die in that dark alley." As soon as the words left his mouth I knew he regretted it. My eyes widened in horror. "Eden... Bǎobèi... Wǒ hěn bàoqiàn! (I'm so sorry!)"

The pain felt like he just squeezed my heart until it exploded in his hands. I got up from Jackson's lap and started to storm off. Just as I reached the door to the other room I turned around to face him. "You know something... I accept the events that transpired long ago, but I'll be dammed if I allow my past to be my future. I didn't marry Andy... at least I thought I didn't, but I can't tell the difference between you and him anymore."

"Bǎobèi, qǐng shāo hòu? (Baby, please wait?)" His voice cracked under the pressure, but I wouldn't give in this time. He stepped over the boundary line and reopened old wounds.

"No, you've crossed the line. I understand you're mad, but you need to know your limits. I don't throw your past in your face, so don't do it to me! You have no right... no right at all. You don't know the hell I've had to go through to make it back to sanity. So don't! I don't want to hear your sorry excuse for an apology!"

He arose to his feet and inched his way closer to me, with his hand extended. "Bǎobèi, qǐng... (Baby, please...)"

The hard choice was before me. Would I turn my back on my husband or run into his arms? I chose the latter. "Wǒ qiú qiú nǐ, bié gēnzhe wǒle. (I beg you, don't follow me.)" I slammed the door behind me, curled up in a chair and cried myself to sleep.

Dream:

"Eden... Eden... Why didn't you save me, Eden?" It repeated over and over. I glanced around, but it was dark. My head was spinning, so I covered my ears to block out the voice. Suddenly everything stopped and a spotlight shown 20 feet ahead of me. There was a body lying face down on the ground. I inched closer to it, my heart pounding harder with each step I took.

My shaking hand reached out and turned the body over. A gasp escaped my mouth. Jackson lay before me, staring at me with saddened eyes, dead. I quickly stepped away and shook my head. "No, this isn't real! This isn't happening! Wake up, Eden! C'mon! Wake up!"