Chapter 45: Coffee Shop

Jackson's POV:

Everyone gathered around in Eden's hospital room. Andy refused to come, and I was grateful for that. I love my Uncle, but I don't want him or his wife anywhere near Eden. The day I returned back to Earth and Eden said that she didn't want me broke my heart. I knew she was lying, but the pain in my heart wouldn't acknowledge the truth. So I left.

The 2 weeks that followed only magnified my pain. It was if I was being repaid for causing Eden agony during my absence. The guys filled me in on what Eden was up to while I was gone. She's done so much for my family, and I haven't even showed her how much I appreciate her.

Dr. Williams was currently in the room talking to us about Eden's condition. Guilt swept through me. What kind of husband am I if I can't even protect my wife from her own demons? My wandering mind came back into the present when I heard Dr. Williams says that Eden is 4 months pregnant.

"What about the baby?" I said over all of the chatter.

"I did an ultrasound, and your baby boy is healthy, but I'm prescribing 2 and half weeks on bed rest for Eden. That should help bring her blood pressure down. If there are anymore problems or if you have any questions don't hesitate to call me."

"A boy? I'm having a son?" I let that sink in as happiness enveloped my heart. I was on cloud 9. I want to be a part of my son's life.

"What have we done?" My father mumbled.

I grew annoyed as my mother sobbed. "Érzi, wǒmen fēicháng bàoqiàn. (Son, we're so sorry.)"

"Don't, mom!" I sighed. "Had you all just let her explain from the start then all of this could've been avoided. She wouldn't be lying here. She wouldn't be silently suffering." My pain overflowed.

"This is your fault too!" Mrs. Giles accused me. "Had you come back when she asked you to then she wouldn't have experienced the pain of being separated from her mate!"

She was right though. If only they knew I came back a week before I had seen Eden; they'd kill me for sure if they knew my whereabouts. I held Eden's hand in my own. "I know." A tear fell upon Eden's arm. "And I will have to live with that regret. Knowing that I put my wife and child in danger is a far worse punisment." The sadness in my heart was to much to contain.

The heart monitor started to beep frantically. Eden's eyes shot open. She startled me as she cried out in pain. "Érzi, you need to control your emotions. You're causing Eden pain." My father gently laid a hand on my shoulder to calm me.

I glanced at Eden. I tried to pry my eyes away, but her pain entrapped me. She started to cry. I tried to think of ways to calm myself down, but the shame clouded my mind. She squeezed my hand, trying to steady her own breathing. Peace, we needed peace. Tranquility, Serenity. Think of a happy place.

I couldn't find one... I was surrounded by despair. What if I lost Eden over this secret? I couldn't lose her or my son.

The monitor slowed down and regulated as Eden drifted back into sleep. I guess she found her peace after all.

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

2 weeks later

I felt that something was eating away at Eden. "You're stressing again." I climbed into the bed beside her and placed her head on my chest. "What seems to be the problem?"

She panicked. "I'm tired of being in this bed!" She was telling me the truth, even if it was only half of it.

"Ok, but I know that's not all that's bothering you." I sighed getting tired of her games. "Eden, I know you don't fully trust me again, but I need you to if we're gonna move forward." I automatically start caressing her baby bump eliciting a moan from her.

"Hey little guy. Daddy, loves you and I can't wait to meet you. Take care of mommy for me, will ya?" I smiled at the life we created. Eden burst into tears when I had kissed her stomach. "Ō, shénme shì cuò de, bǎobèi? (Aww, what's wrong, baby?)"

She only cried louder. "Shh! Bǎobèi, bùyào kū. Hǎo de. Wǒ zài zhè'er. Wǒ nǎ'er yě bù qù. (Baby, don't cry. It's ok. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere.)" After an hour her sobs died down. "Are you gonna tell me what's wrong?" I asked her softly, careful not to make her cry again.

"When you talked to our son..." Eden sniffled, "It was the cutest thing ever!"

I couldn't help but laugh at her words. I had thought that I did something wrong. "You're so cute!" I kissed her lips.

"More." Eden pouted when I pulled back.

This girl. I chuckled. "That's enough for you, Cookie Monster."

"First, I'm on bed rest, and now you won't even give me some nookie!" She threw her hands in the air frustrated. "This has been the worst month ever!"

"If it's any consolation: Wǒ ài nǐ! (I love you!)" I knew it would set her at ease.

Her eyes met my own, and she stole a kiss from me. "Wǒ yě ài nǐ! (I love you too!)" I chuckled at her smoothness.

"Get some sleep, you little ninja." I hummed a melody my mother used to sing to Amber and I when we were restless. Eden yawned and drifted to sleep. I waited a few hours before I left. In my place I left a red rose, symbolic of my bittersweet goodbye.

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

The Next Day

"I'm happy that you called. I was beginning to think you had forgotten about us." She laughed.

I placed my arms around her shoulders. "You're hard to forget, besides I just arrived in the states not too long ago with my family." I looked into her brown eyes and smiled.

"Have you told them about Jia?" Meiying asked sadly.

I shook my head no. "How do I tell them that I have a 3 year old daughter with my childhood best friend?"

Meiying shrugged. "Well they liked me back then. I'm sure it won't be a problem now. Besides I still love you, Jackson."

"Carry me, Daddy!" Jia stretched out her arms, and I picked her up. I lost my train of thought when Jia looked at me and smiled.

"You look just like your mother." I beamed at my daughter.

Meiying frowned at my comment. "Really? My family says that she looks like you. Don't you think so too?"

"Ice cream! Ice cream! Ice cream!" Jia demanded. Sheesh! Meiying shook her head no.

I chuckled at her pouty face. "You're so cute. Do you want to go into the cafe and get a cookie?" Jia shook her head yes enthusiastically. I opened the door for Meiying. We walked up to the counter and ordered.

I felt eyes drilling holes in the back of my head. When I turned around my eyes instinctively sought out the perpetrator. My eyes almost popped out of my sockets when they landed on Eden. "Eden?" She stood up and walked out of the cafe with a guy.

"Who was that?" Meiying questioned glaring at Eden outside the window.

"My wife..."

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

Song: J Lewis- Eternally Lost

Meiying Zhang is played by Grace Huang

Author's Note:

JACKSON IS FULL OF SECRETS AND BROKEN PROMISES!!!

I CAN'T HELP BUT LOVE HIM THOUGH, EVEN IF HE IS THE ANTAGONIST IN MY STORY AT TIMES. LOL

COMMENT, LIKE, VOTE & STAY BEAUTIFUL!!!

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS NEW TWIST!!! HEE HEE HEE

GOD BLESS!