Chapter 14: Debris

Recap:

"MARK NO!!!" I yelled, as the debris clouded my vision. It was eerily quiet. No one answered me. Coughing, I began moving stones to find him. My hand brushed against his skin, and I started frantically digging to get to him. I gasped as I looked on in horror at the sight before me. "Mark? Mark wake up please? Mark, this isn't funny! Ha ha ha! The jokes over, you can get up now!"

When he didn't answer me I sobbed uncontrollably. My voice barely a whisper, "Mark..."

Present:

I picked up Mark's lifeless body and cradled him in my arms as I rocked back and forth. "You can't leave me. I just got you back. I need you, Mark. I love you. Come back... Come back to me please?"

Someone stood up to the right of me. The cloud of dust blurred my vision. "Eden? Eden, are you okay?" Mark? What the hell is going on? I looked down at the body in my arms, and for a second I thought I was imagining hearing Mark's voice, but then he spoke again. "Eden, step away from the body! Eden, do as I say now!" Alarm laced in every word.

Mark stepped into the clearing, and I shuddered in confusion. If Mark was standing before me then who was I holding in my arms? I dropped the body and backed away. Before I could move further Baldassare transformed backed into his body and stabbed me in the chest with the knife. I yelled out in pain. Mark rushed to my side, but not before kicking Baldassare in the face, knocking him unconscious.

"Eden, damn! Hold still, don't move!" My body went into shock causing my muscles to contract violently. "I have to take the knife out. Just breathe, okay?" Mark was never a fan of blood. He recoiled back when he touched the bloodied knife. Once my body became stable I reached up and pulled the knife out, hollering in the process. Blood gushed from the wound, and Mark quickly took off his shirt putting it on my chest to add pressure. "EDEN, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?"

I scoffed. "If I waited for you to do it, I would be stuck walking around with a knife in my chest." He chuckled. "True." He extended his hand out to me, and I gladly took it.

"You look like crap!" I joked.

"Did you look in a mirror lately? You're no beauty pageant queen yourself. Ha! You look more like crazed hobo!" A light laugh escaped my lips.

Up ahead a dim purple light shined. "Do you see that?" Mark nodded. "Let's follow it." Arms snaked around my waist to steady me. The purple light led us into a golden room with 3 tunnels to our right, much like the one we just walked out of. In front of us lay a stone with a transparent dagger sticking out of it. "Wow! This must be the Holy scepter."

Footsteps could be heard in the tunnels. "Umm Eden, if you're gonna grab the scepter I suggest you do it now." Mark warned. I did as he said and the moment my hand made contact with the scepter a bright light engulfed me. Mark put his hand over his eyes and turned away. My chest wound was instantly healed. When the light faded I tucked the dagger in my leg holster and touched Mark's shoulder, signaling him to open his eyes.

The cut on his forehead quickly healed as well. "Whoa!" We spoke at the same time, still in shock. Grabbing my hand, Mark pulled me into the last tunnel to our right. Halfway through the tunnel we bumped into the rest of the gang.

My dad found me and pulled me into a hug. He pulled back to inspect me. "Are you two alright?" Mark and I nodded. "Did you find the scepter?" Again I nodded. "Great. Let's get out of here. I'm starting to get claustrophobic." I let out a chuckle.

Jackson took me by the hand and led me out. "How are you? I was so worried about you, Bǎobèi! I thought... I thought I lost you..." His thoughts trailed and I held him back.