Chapter 9

Camille

"This house is on the best walk street, hidden in the trees, is a home built for living & loving in Venice unlike any other. Tremendous attention to detail while maintaining simplicity & charm. Character. Not modern. Not traditional.

"Really clever blend of the two using light & flow to create a space to linger. Over 3,000 sqft of living with 4 bedrooms. One with its own entrance & spa bath - perfect as an office, nanny or exercise room. Open floor plan starring a nautilus inspired staircase up 3 floors to the roof deck. Gourmet bar style kitchen with brass & bronze accents set against Bluestone & rich woods, Subzero & Wolf appliances & a full Pantry with sink & wine fridge."

I said to a married couple who just moved here from Arizona. The woman is black and the husband is white. The woman nodded and stared while I spoke.

"The house has Parquet oak floors, real living laundry & fully designed custom oak closets throughout. A massive rear deck lined with planters to hold lush greenery for a grassy yard vibe. Impeccable landscaping in a luxurious front garden with fire pit."

"I think Kimberly and Dana will love this house. I don't know about Conner though," the woman laughed and her husband joined her.

"I really love this house because of the nature vibe you get. I love jogging through paths like the one this house has and I'm obsessed with nature," Mrs.Machiavelli informed me. Well more like repeat herself because I already knew this information. I can't remember where I know her from but I just keep staring at her. She looks too familiar.

I politely smiled and we discussed buying this house.

* *

"Mommy I don't feel good," Calayah whined. I rubbed her back as she cried in pain. She's having a stomach virus and a sinus infection. My poor baby. I got a call from school that she's not feeling well.

"Grandma is making you soup okay?" I told her and she nodded and closed her eyes. My mom called earlier and she's coming with my dad. I'm nervous to see how my dads are going to act around one another.

From:
Drew😻😻: how's my BFF doing?

To:
Drew😻😻: horrible. 😕 i don't know what to do 😥

From:
Drew😻😻: want me to come over? I'll bring board games and snacks.

My parents are on their way. I'm not ready for him to meet them yet. I texted him back with a "no thank you". He didn't text me back but it's whatever.

"Nice to meet you," I heard from downstairs. I didn't even hear my security alarm indicate that the front door opened. I quickly went downstairs to see my dad's shaking hands. They looked friendly but I don't know.

"Hey dad," I smiled. They both looked at me and I groaned. How do I differentiate which dad I'm talking to. I'm talking to my adoptive dad.

"I'm talking to Michael," I laughed awkwardly. They laughed too.

"How bout you call me pops," my dad, Craig said. I nodded. This is so awkward.

"So you guys be nice while Camille and I head upstairs," my mom said. We slowly walked upstairs so we could listen to their convo. They started watching tv and talking about football.

"Grandma!" Calayah tried to yell but it came out as a whisper.

"Oh my baby," my mom uncovered a bowl of soup and started feeding Calayah with a plastic spoon.